Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any way to retrofit radiant over already finished ceiling?

agurkas
agurkas Member Posts: 238
We have an old house. I want to remove radiators. One of the options I am looking at is radiant. I have seen around mentions of radiant in walls and ceilings, but I wonder it it would work in our situation.

Our 1st floor has forced air. We will leave it there, until furnace dies. Ducts were put in, because they could access the floor easily from unfinished basement.

2nd floor is original 1938 Cape (we live in MA). I have attic that is accessible.

I wonder if it would be possible to do radiant around the room that looks like wainscoting or just on the finished ceiling and drywall that over? Ripping up original hardwood floor would be astronomical $$$. Looking for an alternative that is not as expensive.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    assuming

that you do a heat load calc first and the wall or ceiling can handle the heat load under all conditions.

Looks like the top window trim is already close to the ceiling, you would need at least an inch to tube and recover. Amazing how much smaller a room seems when you drop ceilings.

A wall radiant might be a better choice, and maybe easier to install. It would also make the room feel smaller.

That space cries out for a panel radiator retro fit in my mind. Easy to zone, minimal work to install, still some "radiant feel"

Unless A/C is part of the plan?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited June 2014
    Agree with Hot Rod

Go with panel rads. I was looking at the window trim also looks close for ceiling radiant build up detail. Not to mention ceilings look in good condition.