Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nylog

Anybody using it? What do you think of it?

Harvey

Comments

• Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Good product, but be careful.

Hey Harvey!

I have heard good things about the product from friends in the field, but have no first hand experience with it. If you use it, just be sure to select the right one. They make one for use with AB and mineral oil and one for use with POE oil.

I will say the following, though. If you have a leaking flare fitting due to improperly flared tubing, do not rely on this product, or any other sealant, to compensate for poor piping practices. If the flare is bad... REFLARE!

Also, many manufacturers use PVE oil, not POE oil in their equipment (Daikin, for instance). PVE and POE oils are not compatible with each other, so I would steer clear of using the POE NYLOG product on a system unless you have determined that the equipment does indeed contain POE oil.

I will be contacting the company to request some samples for use in the labs at the college and will update you in the future.

Enjoy your summer!
    Eugene
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Nylog

Is there a shelve life? Or a hi/lo temp exposure ,as in on the truck in summer/winter?
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    I would say...

I would say no, given that the product is oil. As with any product, protecting it from extreme temperatures would probably be wise, but I wouldn't do anything crazy like bring it in to my house at night and make certain it has a nice warm place to sleep after giving it warm milk and chocolate chop cookies... oh.... I digress!
    Eugene
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Nylog

I plan on using it for all the fittings in the new vacuum kit that should be coming my way as we speak.

Other uses I had in mind,

Schraders cores and caps

TXV installs

And yes, flare fittings. Not because I don't make good flare fittings, I do. I am oh so meticulous when I make a flare connection. And use orbital flaring tools and everything like that. Then sometimes after I'm done with the perfect flare, I cut it back off, put the nut on and do it all over again. Just because I like it so much ;-) And don't even try to tell me that you haven't done it ;-)

Harvey
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Nylog

Refrigeration Technologies manufactures the stuff.

http://www.refrigtech.com/Product/Sealants/Nylog/nylog_blue.html

Compatibility

The Blue Label Nylog, passed the sealed tube test in mixtures of POE, PAG, mineral, and alkyl benzene oils in the presence of HFC-134a, and also in cross blends of CFC and HCFC refrigerants. Nylog Blue has recently passed seal tube testing with R-410a in POE and PVE lubricants.

Proff, wait for Daikin's blessing or you think it's a winner?

Harvey
  • Techman
    edited May 2014
    You did what?

LOL. I practiced my very 1st reflare (then adding the SAE nut) while onboard a WW2 submarine up in the Artic Circle back in 69' . And I reflare every once in awhile just to see if I still have it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. thanks for that Harvey LOL
  • Techman
    Nylog vs thread sealant (like Leaklock)

Am I correct in thinking that the Nylog goes on the mating surface of the flare ?If yes,  then on Refrigeration and Freezers TXV's a "thread sealant" (KindaSorta like pipe dope, BUT not pipe dope) will still have to be used. The LeakLock stuff keeps the moisture out of the threads to prevent the moisture from freezing and "walking" the flare nut loose and making a Freon leak. I  was on "standby" for a guy ,only one time, & over a 4day period I repaired 3 loose flare nuts on Refrig TXV's . Boy was he PO'ed at me! I "took" his livelihood away!!!!!!! SAY WHAT??????