Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smell from new indirect water heater

JBurr
JBurr Member Posts: 6
I just had a crown mega-stor ms-40 installed with a buderus oil boiler and have a smell coming from the hot water only. Initially there was brown water and that cleared after running the water for a while but the smell continues after multiple showers. Could it possibly be a bacteria even though it is brand new? Should I call my installer or give it some time to clear? Thanks.

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,406
    Bacteria

We can't tell you what to do, did you get the tank inspect, if you think you have bacteria in your water I would call the health inspector.

Why would you even wait on something like this?
  • JBurr
    Inspection

Do I have to have the tank and oil burner inspected after installation? All I am concerned about is the smell, I don't know if this is normal with a new tank.
  • JBurr
    Anode

Is there an anode in the crown mega-stor ms-40? I can't imagine this is causing the smell as it is only 2 days old.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Stinky smells:

If it is only the hot side and it smells like rotten eggs, it is hydrogen sulphide, it is from the magnesium anode rod/sacrificial zinc. It will go away with time.

Do you have a well? If you do, draw a glass of COLD water from as close to the source as close to the source, before the tank as you can. Once the glass is full, sniff it. You can only sniff it ONCE. There's no second chance. You have to draw another glass. If you smell "rotten eggs", you have iron bacteria. It can be fixed.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    that is a stainless tank

no andode rods, according to the online installation manual.

What type of smell? Sometimes the pipe dope used for the installation has a smell, Rectorseal #5 for sure :)i

You can set that as high as 150F, maybe run it hot for a day if you suspect bacteria.

Does it have a thermostatic mix valve? If not be very careful when running elevated temperatures in the tank.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JBurr
    Smell

It is day #4 after install and the smell has either gone away or we are used to it. Hot Rod, you may be right that it was due to the pipe dope and hopefully are. Thanks for letting me know about the anode rods, but why does it not need them and is that a good thing?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream