Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vacuum

Options
After going through half a dozen Hillmor electronic gauges and ending up with the SMan-4, I have come to the conclusion that vacuum drying a system through gauge manifolds is a fool's errand.

I just ordered this kit <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLYAmjWkvA">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLYAmjWkvA</a>

It might even allow each job to be a little extra profitable. I have no serious problems with that!

Harvey

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    edited May 2014
    Options
    SMan-4

While I like the Sman-4 and it's wireless capabilities, it is hampered by one major inconvenience. In order to enter wetbulb and drybulb temps for the automatic superheat calculation, you have to do both either wirelessly, through the thermocouple inputs or manually. In other words, you cannot use the wireless for the wetbulb while using the K-type input or manual input for the dry bulb.

Harvey
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Vacuum

HR, I stopped pulling a vacuum through my manifold set years ago and you cannot believe how much time it saves you.  Regardless of what they tell you, everything leaks at some level of vacuum.

Last week, I pulled down a 30 ton DX system through triple evac in about 7 hours after we had it open to change out an evap coil.  That was with (2) 1/2" vac rated hoses and a rig for the top of my 7 CFM JB, that I brazed up a while back.  I changed the oil after each of my triple steps while doing my N2 push.  Trying to pull it through a manifold with even a 3/8" hose would have taken forever.  Vac rated CRT's are a must too.  Plus, with it isolated correctly through the CRT's, it is easy to break the vacuum without risking system contamination between your triple steps.

Good Choice.

As to the SMAN4, some of my younger guys have been using them since they came out.  Some of the others have the AK900.  The AK's seem to be more user friendly, but the consensus is that the new Imperial iManifold has both beat hands down. 
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    ZOWWEEEE!!!!!!!!

Looks like I'll be spending more money! This gauge in conjunction with that app is everything I've been looking for in one wickedly awesome package! The Imperial, that is.

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! This I have to have!

Harvey 
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Vacuum

Can a digital manifold take a deep vacuum? For the slightly larger systems( 20-25-30 hp) I use a slightly larger vac pump and a slightly larger evac manifold. My larger manifold has two 3/8" system hoses and a 1/2" hose to the vac pump. I don't recall any crazy long evac times.Most larger systems have pipe plugs that will take a 1/4 or 3/8 pipe x 3/8 msae fittings.Purging and letting the N2 sit in the system for awhile makes for a faster evac time. On most res systems once the evac starts thru the 1/4 hoses into the manifold thru the 3/8 hose to the vac pump ,then I clean up the tools/extra parts, put them away, do the finishing touches on the pipe insulation , lo/line volt wirers,and by then the evac is done. I have hooked up a 2nd micron gauge at the AHU to compare the two micron readings on more than a few systems.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    Digital Manifolds

All the digital manifolds that I have owned have leaked under a vacuum. My yellow jacket micron gauge does not leak under a vacuum. I ordered a BluVac micron gauge with my new setup. It has a lot more information on it and is not sensitive to high pressure. With it I won't have to worry so much or have extra fittings to valve it off when I break a vacuum.

Harvey