Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mini-split comparisons...

Options
Any merit to the claims that most mini split units these days are using the same basic components, so there's relatively little difference between the big name brands and the lesser known ones? I've heard multiple times that if you just look for the Mitsu compressor, or Toshiba or whatever, the brand on the system is much less relevant. Not sure what to think of these claims, but seems worth sussing out, as some of these off brands are less than half the price of Mitsu, Fujitsu, Daikin... while claiming to use same basic components.

I'm not an A/C pro, I'm a general contractor, but keep running into this on jobs with radiant heat wanting to add A/C. If I can save everyone some bucks and do it w/o sacrificing quality...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I don't know about all of them,

But I do know Daikin manufactures almost all of their own components. Their swing compressor is unique to them. "Disclaimer" I am a Daikin Dealer so I am naturally a little biased, however, I am of the opinion that they are the best when it comes to vrv-vrf technology.

Harvey
  • MTC
    MTC Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Thanks for the input,

I'd love to just always use some of the top brands, but often it comes down to a lower cost brand, or no go on the A/C, so what to do then? I won't install junk, so what brands other than those arguably top 3 would anyone recommend as a still high quality unit but at a lower cost? Or (if we're allowed to do this here, if not ignore), can anyone give me a good source to buy the top brands for better pricing? I've had my HVAC guys price me out on the top brands from their suppliers, and usually found their prices are higher than what I can quickly find online...