Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wall Mounted Hot Water Radiators?

vatobk
vatobk Member Posts: 4
I'm doing a gut reno in Brooklyn NY and have decided to replace the existing (and very old) forced air system with a hot water radiator system. So far, I've seen Governale (Gov Free) and the Runtal panel rads -- on opposite ends of the spectrum both from a heat output and a design perspective. I'm looking for something more in the middle. Any suggestions for a wall mounted column rads?

I'm a big fan of the Charleston radiator offered by steamradiator.com, but not a fan of the price! Has anyone had experience with using the Charleston (for a hot water system), the Revive horizontal by Hudson Reed or the Myson column radiator?

BTW, each of the rooms will need a heat output of approximately 6-7K BTU, and we plan to put the rads under the windows.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Wall panel radiators

I often use DiaNorm wall panel radiators as an alternate (as well as Runtal)  The #22 radiators rough-in easy and a 20x48" or 24x48 may give you the required output. They look identical to the Buderus wall panel radiators. www.heatlines.com
  • superdave
    superdave Member Posts: 155
    wall hung Rads

I have used the Baxi panel radiators on a lot of projects. They come in 4 heights and you can custom size them per room by 3.25" sections.  www.wallhungboilers.com But it comes down to what are the look your customers are looking for.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    i like the Dianorm

buderus , runtal Myson ..

Mark , here had a post like 7 years ago with all sorts of fancy name brands .. The costs might jar you a bit. some that you mentioned might be designer like the ones he posted , buh if not , the Dianorms are very this century looking and a reasonable selection exists.

*~//: )
  • vatobk
    DiaNorm

Thanks. I had not check DiaNorm. I was hoping for slim option that shows the heating columns (the house was built in 1894 and I had hoped not to go too modern), but if the Buderus/DiaNorm provide good heat output, I probably should give them a serious look.
  • vatobk
    Thanks

Super Dave,

I have never even heard of Baxi -- guess that's what this site is for -- thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
  • vatobk
    Wall mounted rads

I will do a comparison of these brands along with DiaNorm and Baxi (both noted above). Thanks to all for the suggestions.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    buderus /dianorm

These are the easiest to install and perform great .i did my home with them no issues as far as the baxi rads i do believe they have to be assembled and witha reverse thread nippleand o rings  and special spud wrench is needed they are also aliumiun ,seems like alot more labor and liability being after assembly they should be pressure tested ,Both dianom and buderus offer models 11 and 22  model 22 is reverseable left right while i believe the 11 is not could be wrong also a thermostatic raditor valve attaches right to the buderus/dianom panels while baxi s have to be piped in on the feed line .Also while looking a buderus take a look at the oventroupe raditor valves with isolation valves and they can be ordered with a built in pressure differential bypass so when you add the TRV you will not need a DPV valve in the boiler room .great product would install everywhere but people want cheap .In my eyes i would install them hands down to baseboard and do it in half the time with far less mess but they re  hard sale being i,ve been trying to selland install them since my first trip to the father land like 20 years ago .I have sold and installed a few over the years but there isn t that much of a interest in them and no one around by parts stocks nor deals in them very sad peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • superdave
    superdave Member Posts: 155
    Rads

The Baxi Rads are reversible and you can put the supply on left or right. Yes you can by them as 5sec. or 10sec. I normally by 18" high and just get all 10sec. and custom them to the rooms as needed also if you need to have it sized for joist or wall you can do it in 3.25" sizes. I think it comes down if the owner wants lines to go up and down or left to right. They do use right and left thread so you don't need to worry about pushing out. I have tested them after installed up to about 80 PSI and knock on wood no Problems.

Good luck.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Dianorm when you order make sure they get the order correct.They sent me the wrong one.i think it was 8x 24 high .i got 18 inch high.Customer was not happy as it did not match the height of the other four we put in.that was November .They are telling me the correct one is on route in a container from Europe .Other than that they worked great but I think I will go with Budures from now on as there is more stock available.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    jonny88 said:

Dianorm when you order make sure they get the order correct.They sent me the wrong one.i think it was 8x 24 high .i got 18 inch high.Customer was not happy as it did not match the height of the other four we put in.that was November .They are telling me the correct one is on route in a container from Europe .Other than that they worked great but I think I will go with Budures from now on as there is more stock available.

+1

Ran into the same issue… called in Jan/Feb, told me they wouldn't get another container till May. I said, by that point I won't need a radiator… lol.

However I found the same for story for hydronic alternatives (the same wait). Buderus has a good selection, however some radiators still need to be "ordered".

I ended up going with Buderus since they had all the sizes I needed in stock.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    We actually installed the rad they sent as it was heating season and customer wanted it.When the new one comes they want the old one back.Am I entitled to charge them for labor etc.They acknowledged they ordered the wrong rad.Personally I think it would look nice in my house,,,,,,,,
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    If they ordered it incorrectly you should absolutely charge them for a service call.