Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Limescale Removal

Options
Plumdog_2
Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
Any of you guys got recommendations for dissolving heavy limescale deposits around the bottom of a gas tank type water heater? It seems that "Un-Lime" is NLA. My gut tells me vinegar is going to be too slow. I like to see smoke.  

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Smokin'

The "Smoke" is mostly CO2 vapors with acid vapors mixed in when you use acid. .

My final solution was 40 Proof muriatic acid. That masons use to clean mortar haze from brick work. Before that, I always found that the lime scale was just flakes on the bottom of the tank. When I blow the water (drain) in  the tank with compressed air into the cold water supply, and I had a hose on the drain, once the water level got to the bottom, the swirling air swept the lime flakes out of the drain. Put the drain hose in a 5 gallon bucket and see if it fills with chunks. The air and water combination gives agitation.

It worked for me.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,129
    Options
    A de -lime kit

Like they sell for tankless water heaters. It includes a tank and small pump. It may be better to circulate the fluid as opposed to just dumping it in

I have used Hercules Sizzle for boiler de-lime with excellent result. Most plumbing chemical manufacturers have de-lime products available.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream