Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Improving Appearance of baseboard heaters

Jacob_P
Jacob_P Member Posts: 10
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and definitely not an expert at all in this area.. Trying to find a solution I kept coming across different threads on this forum, which made me think it would be a good place to see if anyone has some insight.

I recently purchased a home that had been renovated. They put a lot of attention into most of the details of the remodeling. The baseboard heating was one exception. While the system operates just fine, it looks very unfinished.

The system had a bunch of adjustable filler pieces that were just placed over gaps between the heater... they weren't even bolted in. I bolted them in with some toggle bolts, but the adjustable filler still looks cheap and is noticeably different from the castiron baseboards.

I don't know exactly what I want... but thought you guys might have some thoughts on what could give this system a bit more of a finished look. I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

J

Comments

• Jacob_P
    edited May 2014
    Images

Sorry I had trouble attaching pictures on the previous post....
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Cheap

As soon as you lifted the baseboard end , then saw the pex, I was like what the heck, obviously who ever did that didn't do it correctly, anything could be fixed, just need to get the right c.i. B.b.

FYI, the pex looks very cheep in the corner like that.
  • ScrewLoose
    ScrewLoose Member Posts: 20
    Superpowers

My Common Sense is tingling telling me that having an electrical receptacle cut in the cover-shield of a hot water baseboard is a big no-no. 

Get an electrician to put that in a wall where it belongs.

As far as the baseboards, those do look like the appropriate Burnham trims, they are what they are.

I have seen where people have had nice Victorian wood baseboard cut and fit to make a more "seamless" decorative finish.  So you might try your hand at some wood trim elements instead of the Burnham trims.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Caulk and paint

Caulk and paint make a plumber what he ain't. I recall hearing that rhyme at some point. There is really nothing simple that you can do, the splices are what Burnham provides. This product came up in a previous post but I think it is only for fin tube baseboard, not cast iron http://www.wayfair.com/Neat-Heat-Baseboard-Covers-C544847.html. I think it's vinyl that snaps over the existing cover. I would suggest just caulk and paint, it does wonders.  

Rob
  • Jacob_P
    Thanks

Great feedback guys. We have a carpenter coming in for some other work tomorrow. I'll see if he has any thoughts on Screwloose's idea. Otherwise caulk and paint makes sense to me.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought this was a bit of a wonky setup.

I'll let you guys know what we end up with in the end.....
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Be Careful

Be careful, The baseboards work off both convection and radiation. If you start covering the units with louvered wood (open at the top and bottom) you might end up uncovering them when they don't heat your home in the dead of winter. If they are over-sized you might get away with it, but it will be an expensive gamble. I would trim the covers so that the top and bottom openings are exposed and caulk and paint.

JMHO,

Rob