Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What do you think of this product?

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
A friend in Europe asked me to post this to see if there might be a market for it in the U.S. It's designed to change people's water use and consumption by an interactive digital display. It measures water use, temperature and energy used, and through an interactive App can tell you how much water and energy you use. It is not Internet connected right now but will be next year. Thoughts? Thanks.

<a href="http://amphiro.com/">http://amphiro.com/</a>
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Homeowner

That's an interesting concept.  It reminds me of the systems they have for electric that can monitor an entire house.  I would honestly be interested in it especially with my kids as I could teach them from an early age how little water they really need to use.  Right now with my son (just now old enough to shower alone) I give him a time limit and then the hot water gets turned off.  So far that has only happened once.  With this I could just tell him he is allowed a certain amount of water.  I like the idea.  BTW when I was growing up we all took military style showers to conserve water and not overwhelm the septic system so my perspective is often a lot different from other peoples on this topic.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • GuardianTech
    GuardianTech Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Amphiro Intelligent Water meter

The Amphiro intelligent water meter is self powered, using a patented micro turbine to generate power from the water flow. It has a great LCD display showing water use, temperature, and energy use in real time.

It also has a great Polar Bear graphic that encourages everybody to consider the environment in a fun way, making sure the Polar Bears ICE float does not melt because too much water was consumed.

Very good App that lets you input the historical shower data and monitor your energy use.

Amphiro is easy to fit, taking the shower handset off the hose, add the Amphiro, replace showerheads. Amphiro will save about $100 per year and repays the investment in about 8 months. Tell us what you think.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I think

you will need gallons and F to start, lol...

And a timer function would be nice, I actually have a timer in my shower and my sons shower, we used to have digital ones but they broke so I found some hour glass types that are 5 minutes, you can see when its running out and rinse off...

Also I am not sure what the software looks like but some kind of app that lets you enter your units specs, like efficiency, cost for fuel, type of fuel, ect so you can see what an actual shower costs you per minute would be nice...

As most of you know I am always looking for ways to cut DHW costs for customers, we use a RU98 with high sierra shower heads and a hybrid tank in the summer months{acts as a prestage for the tankless in the winter months} {soon to be reworked}...

this is a cool site for figuring out dhw savings http://www.showermanager.com/conservation-store/shower-savings.shtml

So as far as saving money goes, without a timer or a little flashing dollar amount that constantly goes up while you are in the shower, I don't see how this will save more money than a $25 shower head and a $5 timer, BUT if you can somehow incorporate them with this product it could be very nice... I am sure its worth the asking price, but I am on the side of saving money by not spending it, so I personally see spending $60 on something that just tells me if I am saving or not as kind of a waste, and in my experience electronics inside a steamy shower dont last long, so I personally would probably not buy it if I wasnt in the HVAC field, since I am I have to have one, lol...

Anyway, I like the idea, I would market it with a water saving shower head, so far I found the high sierra to be the best and use the least amount of water, the pressure is intense, and I get around 1.4 gpm and under, but it feels better than 2.5+ heads... Thats going to be the key- package deal, use this item to sell and show how much a 1.4gpm head saves you per shower...
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Niche

It may have a niche,most Americans think saving energy is nice but certainly not at the expense of a shower that isn't however as long and hot as they,their wife and teenage daughter may desire!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Concept

Agree with others there is probably people who will buy it as is. Exception in the US need F, and gallons.

I'm with HeatPro the app needs to be able to calculate costs, and the shower piece needs to be able to display that data. Do that, and I think you will have an exceptional winner.

Will it curb water use? With some maybe, but I think most women could care less so long as they get the shower they deserve. Low gpm shower heads are the key. Like HeatPro says sell a quality one with your product as a package deal.
  • GuardianTech
    GuardianTech Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Amphiro in Gallons and F

All.

many thanks for the great feed back. This is currently showing the Litres and Centigrade, but is also available in Gallons and F. Their is a very good App available that you can download. After each Shower Amphiro gives you a 4 digit Alpha code that is based on your use over time, and is constantly changing so you can map energy and water use over time. Key this into the App and it gives you a detailed energy and water use/cost report, measured over time.

In 2015 we will have it as apart of our Smart Home system, so you can fit on almost any pipe and receive water use data to your phone. Tablet or PC via wifi powered by the water flow only!

As suggested combined with a water saving shower head and you have a good solution. The Amphiro does not reduce flow to the shower, we all know that a high pressure shower is heaven, it simply highlights the water consumed and the energy used in each shower, encouraging you to think about water use, and encourage a more energy efficient use of water heating.

Amphiro is IP57 rated, therefore water proof, and all electronics are in a sealed capsule. It works very well, and we will introduce one for a fixed rose in 2015.

All and any feed back is really helpful. Thank you.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    I like it!

is it only for hand held shower that connect with a hose? Or will there be a shower head version? Not that many hand held type heads in typical homes.

I have seen a head with a light in it that starts with water flow also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,926
    Options
    sounds real neat, but if it's not reasonably priced, only real techies tree huggers will buy it. Mad dog
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Options
    I know there was a trail here once upon a time with the electrical use. When people can actually visually monitor something they will consistently strive to reduce. If the figures are out of sight they are out of mind. The only thing they change in the homes was adding the 'visual usage meter' inside the home. That's it and people saved. It's funny to watch the human psyc in action.