Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does Onix Tubing oxygen barrier work?

Options
Steeleroo
Steeleroo Member Posts: 1
Has anyone had trouble with ferrous parts rusting when using Onix radiant tubing? I am repiping our system that has staple up Onix and finding the pumps are rusting pretty severely after just 3 years and there is lots of rust slime coating all the pipes. I've had plumbers blame the Onix, saying it doesn't have an oxygen barrier. But Watts Radiant clearly is marketing a product with sophisticated oxygen barrier. The tubing is only a few years old, so not the old school rubber which definitely had problems.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Makeup water

If you shut off the automatic water feeder, how long does the system hold pressure?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I can't

Comment on what you bought but I have an onix system in operation, it just finished it's sixth year.

So yes it works.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I have worked....

on a  number of Onix tubing systems. If there is a barrier I do not think it works very well. I have replaced corroded pumps, flow checks and seen expansion tanks and spirovents clog up w/ rust. Your system should be flushed and cleaned. Then a good O2 inhibitor added. Rhomar or Fernox come to mind.