Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RTU vs Mini Splits

Options
Hi, I'm new to the A/C section.

We are contemplating a repair vs replace for our Showroom RTU damaged by a recent hail storm, our present RTU ratings = 090 A/C & 200 2 stage heating.

The Condenser coils are damaged beyond reasonable repair by hail, HVAC guy is quoting 2 ways, (1) replace Condenser & (2) replace complete RTU.

The Replacement RTU would probably be similar in efficiency as our present one (2002 installation)

As a 3rd option, i was wondering about just adding 2 properly sized Mini Splits to our existing showroom & leaving the perfectly fine heating side of the RTU to just heat the space.

It seems to me the mini splits are way more efficient than the RTU in AC mode.

I thought I would get a preview here befor I talked to my A/C guy, I don't feel there are many mini splits installed in the KC area.

Thank You for your thoughts,

Tim
Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO

Comments

• RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    RTU

I would strongly consider replacing the RTU as it is 12 yrs old ?     option 3,  well as a service tech I would not want to run into this 10 yrs down the road after the bldg. changes hands and everyone is trying to figure out whats controlling what.
    RJ
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Air Exchange

You are forgetting that your RTU is also providing outside air through the economizer.   This provides a very slight overpressurization of the building and gives you air changes in the space.  Without this, the space can become stale.

Stick with the RTU and just make sure it is properly sized.

Good Luck.