Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Using condensate pump to shut off Maytag MGF1RC furnace

We just moved into a house with a Maytag MGF1RC100C furnace. It is AFUE 92.1%. Looking at it, I noticed the condensate pump is wired so that if the pump malfunctions, it will cut power to the thermostat and shut off everything.

The basement is unfinished.

I have a couple questions. Is this a condensing furnace? I don't believe it is. If not, does it produce a fair amount of condensate when heating? Our Aprilaire 400 humidifier that should not normally drain water into pump.

I don't want the entire heating system to shut down if the pump malfunctions. Is there a better way to wire it into control board of furnace? Maybe in series with Y wire from a/c?

Would a/c be the main contributor to condensate?

Thanks

Comments

• Furnacelady
    Furnacelady Member Posts: 29
    Condensate pump

It is a condensing furnace. Any thing over 80% is a condensing furnace. Unfinished basement you don't need it. Attic, 1st flr or crawl space you need it. If it is on the pump City code says it must be hooked up per manufacture instructions. You can disconnect it if you want and leave the wires in the blower compartment.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Condensate:

(( Would a/c be the main contributor to condensate? ))

You asked this question too late. Do you have AC? You need the condensate pump for the AC.
  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 308
    Yes. I have since learned it is

A condensing furnace. And we do have central a/c. I have rewired pump into furnace so it will shut down thermostat if pump malfunctions. It just makes me nervous to think we could be away and with no heat in winter