Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mr Slim mini split ?

I would like to install a 9000 BTU Mr Slim (cooling only) in a 12 x 12 bedroom.  That is the smallest they make in a single zone setup. The minimum the unit will  go down  to is 3800 Btu.   I'm aware of the inverter type compressor. The question is will the unit short cycle with such a small load??   I'am located in the New York City area.  thanks DAN

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    It depends

To know definitively, you would have to know the heat gain of that space by way of a Manual J heat gain load calculation. If the gain is close to the minimum of 3800 BTUH of the AC, you'll be okay. The amount of windows, insulation, exposure all play a part.
    Steve Minnich
  • robert borders
    robert borders Member Posts: 48
    from an HVAC guy

It is what it is. 9 K is the smallest comfort air Century Mini ductless splits have.

The house I just sold today, has only one bedroom and one big living area.

In the bedroom I have positioned the sidewall head over the outside window which fortunately lines up with the door to the main room.

If they need to get some of the capacity out of the bedroom, they can open the door.

I have a friend whom was a HVAC contractor for 40 yrs before he died. His philosopy was that he was not coming back to apologize for being too small + "Bob, there is no such thing as a 2 ton AC"

When it is unusally hot, you want the extra capacity. I sold some realestate last year using my lawyer. It was over 95 degrees + his offices were extremely cold + felt good! yeh there is probably excess humdity in his office but he is "cold" + me the client was happy to come in for a half hour to enjoy it.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Unlikely

It is unlikely that the unit will short cycle to the point of sacrificing dehumidification. The "ON" cycles will likely be shorter than on a more precisely matched application, but the inverter-controlled compressor should take care of most of the issues with that.
    Eugene