Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

270 Ft Manifold

MechTech_2
MechTech_2 Member Posts: 84
Check this job out from Waterloo, Ontario which I had the pleasure of commissioning a few months ago.

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Football

Is that a snow melt field? What's going on top
  • MechTech_2
    40,000 Sq.Ft.

trucking warehouse, 6-8" concrete, 3 x 399,000 boilers, 1 water temp on reset curve, reverse/return header. Only took 3 hours to completely fill and purge! 
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Aquatherm headers

seem to be gaining in popularity on larger RFH projects.  Nice that you can bury the welded joints.  What size are the mains?  Looks like maybe 110mm?
  • MechTech_2
    4" Header

I think it started at 4" and bushed down from there.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Nice Job!

The only thing that would scare me is having that many connections under the slab. Could the manifolds have been elevated and installed in the wall? Beautiful workmanship!

Rob
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Tubing

What brand pex, how many loops or did you just go from one side to the other, any chance of a layout description ?
  • MechTech_2
    Absolutely

I've been involved in a half dozen projects all done the same way, and so far so good. We could have supported the Aquatherm off the wall, and also install some isolation and balancing valves. But we also bury some geothermal and ice rink systems in the same fashion as this radiant project.
  • SWEI
    Were you part of

the hangar job featured in the newsletter last year?
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I Understand

I just seem to get bit by Mr. Murphy whenever I do stuff like that :)

Rob
  • MechTech_2
    94,000 Sq.Ft

The aircraft hanger we couldn't mount the manifold on the wall because it had huge iron wall supports that we're 5' deep, we would have to zig zag around them. The aircraft hanger reverse/return manifold started at 4 " and worked all the way down to 1". Approx. 76.000' 3/4" RauPex 18" centres. I think I did the math for the header by hand at least 10 times before I had a warm and cozy.
  • SWEI
    Still waiting

for Aquatherm to come out with F1960 transition fittings. I know they have been looking at it.
  • MechTech_2
    PPR - HDPE

F1960 PPR saddles would have saved thousands, not to mention a couple of hundred mechanical joints. PPR - HDPE transition ball valves for geothermal systems would be cool too.
  • SWEI
    PPR transitions are a ****

really the only thing in their whole system which is not competitively priced.  As a result, I put some effort into minimizing the number required.  Aquatherm uses DIN standard socket fusion (hence the number of tool vendors we are starting to see.)  The fusion saddle outlets are apparently unique to Aquatherm.

Asahi ball valves are available in PVC, CPVC, PP, and FPM/FKM.  Ther PP fittings use DIN standard socket fusion.  If you need to transition from Aquatherm to any of those, you can order a ball valve for the other system and then add on a PP union tailpiece.  Weld the Aquatherm to the tailpiece (after the union nut) and voila!   You now have a PP-R to CPVC transition with a shutoff.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    great work, one question

how do you purge all the loops?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • MechTech_2
    Pump Cart

We just used 50 gallon barrels and a good pump cart, and let it blast. Check out www.mechanicalbusiness.com March/April issue as they did a feature article on the Windsor Aircraft Hanger job, The article has pictures of the thermal imaging of the slab, and it clearly shows that every loop is filled and operating with no air locks.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    IBC boilers??

How do you like the boilers and what model,I hear they are popular in Canada.Beaytiful work thanks for sharing