Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyway to really increase efficiencies of..

Options
packaged closed loop water source heat pumps?  In our building we have hundreds of 1/2 ton horizontal discharge, 1.5 and 2.5 ton counterflow floor models. They are Command Aire models with TXV's and no longer in business. They were built in the early 90's so I'm guessing the seer is around 10? (no paperwork). They asked me to look to see if efficiency could be increased as they are rebuilt rather than replacing them because the return and supply ducting and water supplies would all have to be retrofitted. Any ideas...controls, motors, compressors, etc.

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Increase efficency

Most geo units even at that age would be close to 18 to 21 seer and depending on entering water temps or airflow across the system they could be less then that.

I would run a thermal efficiency test on all of them and see what capacity and efficiency they are now.You could increase airflow and maybe gain a little more on seer however you might risk being able to get the coil below dew point.

Other then changing entering water temps you are stuck with what you have.Maybe a programmable stat that can be setup for lower temps or higher temps depending on season when no one is there.

The biggest problem I see across the board is lack of maintenance.Enough dirt on the blower wheel and air coil will decrease the capacity and seer.