Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toyotomi on demand hot water oil fired

oakland
oakland Member Posts: 23
Does anybody have one or have experience with them and what do you think?

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Do yourself a favor and stay away

Nothing new by any means... Others may chime in but I think they were quietside or samsung? something like that, looks similar, I seen these in a mailer I received from an internet supply house... I have thrown away 3 of them quiet sides over the years and they were very new, the cs, warranty, and parts were terrible, so much so that customers just gave up and went with a new unit..
  • TimeBandit
    TimeBandit Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2014
    One of the best products on the market

I have a lot of experience with the Toyotomi OM-148. In my opinion, it is one of the finest oil-fired direct-vent domestic water heaters on the market. Its reliability is exceptional, and our customers typically see very significant drops in the cost of heating their water after installing one of these. Also, the technical support available for the Toyotomi product line is great..

Toyotomi has absolutely nothing to do with either Quietside or Samsung, and should not be grouped in with them at all.

The OM-148 has my vote, hands down. If you are considering installing one, and it fits your application, by all means go for it. You won't be disappointed. For pre-sale information, advice and support, contact Rural Energy in Anchorage, Alaska. They are the wholesale distributor of Toyotomi products for Alaska, the Pacific northwest, and a big chunk of Canada. Their number is 907-868-7952.
  • TimeBandit
    TimeBandit Member Posts: 24
    One consideration:

The OM-148 has a stainless steel heat exchanger, so be sure that your chloride/chlorine levels are not high. I believe that max chloride levels are 50ppm, free chlorine max 2ppm. The installation manuals are available at rural-energy.com
  • DAN338
    DAN338 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a Toyotomi OM-148 since the end of 2007. It has performed well over the years, however, the problem has been with servicing the unit. None of the major oil companies that I have used over the years for service carry the nozzles, and almost none of the servicemen know how to gain access to the nozzle, to change it. I contacted Toyotomi for detailed instructions to access the nozzle, but they have not responded. Can anyone furnish me with detailed instructions, that I can give to the servicemen?
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Dan338, your call should be to Toyotomi Sales and tell them to get out and train your oil companies technician. As well, call the oil company service manager and tell him the same thing.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Wow they are not that much different than a typical oil burner, as far as service is concerned. Other than the electric oil pump opposed to the typical gear pump. Nozzle is an extra hollow made by Delovan. There is no air adjustment either. Very quiet and reliable. We have installed many in commercial kitchens OM-180 is the same but is listed to be used as a boiler and has four 1.25" connections.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Fishingfool
    Fishingfool Member Posts: 4
    When looking for service manuals and technical support call Rural Energy Enterprises at 907-868-7952. They have a great document base and a really good document with pictures on how to service the burner and setting the electrodes and pump pressure. The OM-148 has been replaced with the OM-122DW. It is the same unit with improved serviceability. It is the best way to heat your domestic hot water especially with the concentric vent kit. Sealed combustion close clearance to windows and doorways as per NFPA-31 code. 12 inches from an opening door or window.