Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping concerns

Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
Moving piping to another section of main and/or branch off main.  Piping of main is 100 yrs old as is branch. Concerned about having work done on old piping.  Legitimate?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    antique pipes

maybe you could draw a plan of the present piping, with the intended modifications shown.

a skilled pipe-fitter will be able to either cut the pipe between two fittings, or break a fitting with a hammer, and expose good threads.

I would be more concerned that the work would have the necessary pitch, and that the minimum pipe sizes for the radiators served would be kept.--NBC
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Anyone's guess

When you are dealing with 100+ year old pipe, of any kind, it's all up to chance. I just did some work on my main, its 112 years old, and when I got into it, it was almost as good as new. The difficulty is with the joints/connections. They are almost impossible to break loose without actually hitting them with a hammer to actually break them. Steam seems to almost weld those threaded joints together.
  • Fizz
    Piping sketch

Hope this helps.
  • Fizz
    Forgot to

add that green lines are proposed 1" piping, the top one is to the main, the bottom to the branch(11/2") off main.