Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting from oil furnace air heat to heat pump with furnace as my back-up

Options
I want to replace my central 5 ton AC with a 5 ton Goodman high efficiency two stage 5 ton heat pump and make it my primary source of heat. Currently my oil fired lennox furnace is my primary source and shares the the blower with my central AC and i want to make this my back-up heat source. I know I have to change my indoor coil and line and make the blower variable speed, but do i have to change the control board to make everything compatible? Any suggestions for this conversion would be very helpful.Thank you

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    You are

Making your life way to difficult. Since you already have a lennox furnace stick with a lennox heat pump. If you do not currently have a variable speed blower stick with a single speed HP.You will most likly need to run a new low voltage wire to both the outdoor unit and the indoor tstat. Carrier makes a two wire indoor stat that will work with your old and new Lennox equipment.
  • oakland
    oakland Member Posts: 23
    Options
    what does that Carrier stat do?

Thank you for your help. I was trying to go with the high efficiency heat pump because i live in a colder climate (NY) and wanted to get the most heat out of the pump. Also, i could get the Goodman for a very good price. What was that part from carrier you were suggesting and how does it work.Thanks again