Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pre-Made Radiant Manifolds

Options
Zad
Zad Member Posts: 19
I am a DIY'r with one radiant system that has worked perfectly for the last 5 years under my belt. I am just planning my second system that I will install in our home and am curious about the value in buying a pre-made manifold. In the previous system I built I just used the basic copper manifold with 3/4" inlet and 1" trunk and tied my 1/2" pex into it. I see online that I can buy pre-made manifolds (5 circuit) out of ss for as little as $160 from pexsupply and pexuniverse and from companies like Radiantec in copper for $370. Is there an advantage to these pre made units other than the obvious of some time saving? In our new system I will have one zone with 5 circuits, two zones with two circuits and one zone with one circuit. Each circuit will be 200-300 feet in length using 1/2" pex tubing. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    There are advantages

Not all manifolds are made equal, but a decent one will combine some type of on-manifold flow balancing with reasonably accurate flow meters, loop isolation valves, means for bleeding air... On better ones, you can expect that all these features will be somewhat easier to use/more predictable and accurate, and that any replacements that fit the manifold will still be available years down the road when you need them.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Manifolds

Before you buy at pex supply I would like for you to shop at a larval supply house, they will sell the same thing, plus you will be helping you local plumbing supply house.
  • LuckyDog
    LuckyDog Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Larval???

I assume you ment local?

ETA: What happened to my smiley? I was joshing
    HomeOwner

Building a house in NH
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options