Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Outdoor reset

Boston_2
Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
I am going to be making a few modifications to my old boiler.  I am going to add an outdoor reset.  Is there a favorite? I also would like to add delta t circulators.  Any thoughts about which to use? 

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    More info

specifically what old boiler?  Is it sized correctly to the heat loss?  Primary/secondary piping?  What kind of radiation?

Taco SR501 is probably the least expensive basic boiler reset control.  Sometimes full ODR with a mixing valve or injection pumping is worth the extra cost, other times not.
  • Boston_2
    Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
    its an older Burnham

Its actually oversized, but still runs really well. Its a burnham 133btu. We have slantfin baseboard radiators. The house didnt have any insulation in it when we bought it, but now has been insulated and airtight (at least as much as an old house can be). Based on our current gas usage, and the cost of gas, it would take almost 30 years to recoup the cost of a new system. Since there is nothing wrong with the one i have its hard to justify the cost. If for a few hundred i can get a more comfertabe house and maybe improve efficency, seems like a good start. I thought the best way would be with a boiler tuneup, boiler reset and some variable circulators. Any other ideas would be apreciated.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    i think you have good advise from swie

H

this looks like a fancy way to say water , however in this case

the top 0 is to depict the "System

the H a bridge

and the other 0

the boiler.

with the new style SR501 R and a bridge coupled with a variable speed on the system side in the top 0 you have basic independent things happening . one is the boiler is happier sooner and the system run s on a variable speed variable temp rather than the bang on bang off burner....

it might pay for itself within very short order .
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    A bit of analysis

before you spend any of your hard-earned cash.  Specifically, a room-by-room heat loss calculation and an existing radiation survey.  With that information, we can give you much more specific advice.