Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can hot water radiator supply lines be dropped 6" for ~5 feet?

Options
RunnerSt
RunnerSt Member Posts: 1
I am moving a radiator in a hot water system about 10 feet. The bathroom's floor joists are 2X6s @16" where the radiator is now and about halfway to where I want to end up they become 2X12s @24". The ceiling below this room is dropped about a foot, so the easiest approach is to run the existing supply and return lines to the 2x12's, drop them 6" and come up in the new location. Alternatively, I could drill through the 2x12's to maintain the height of the lines. If I go the easy route, I cannot really drain the system completely and I could trap air, but since the system is being pumped, does it matter which I do? Thanks

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Just do it.

Some will argue you'll be creating an air trap, which you could solve easily by using tees and air vents at the downstream high point of your offset behind an access panel but I'll bet you'll have no problem doing what you describe.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Jumpers

We do them all the time. I'm against remote air vents though, as I've seen plenty actually allow air in to the system. Just do a thorough job of purging and make sure you have an effective air eliminator at the boiler.