Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco bumble bee flow meter accuracy

PLUMMER
PLUMMER Member Posts: 42
Has anyone had one of these installed with a flow metering device or manifold?

I've been trying to do some of my own testing, but I still see a range of 6.2gpm@ 9-11 watts and as high as 15.9gpm@ 42 watts. No matter what changes I make to the flow. I'm wondering how accurate the flow readout actually is. Will it flow lower or higher? It seems it just switches to one of the 4 preprogrammed speeds. I've seen very different GPM rates for any one wattage readout. I have seen some micro zones that need less than the 6gpm, and it seems as if its flowing less than the readout, in these circumstances.

I have seen the VDT series come to a crawl and depending on settings actually stop if the minimum speed is turned off.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    not even in the ballpark!

I've installed the 132 Quicksetters on all my ECM pumps. I have one Bee, 5 Alphas and an Armstrong Compass running at my home and shop. Errors range in the 50- 60% area.

The craziest one to watch are the two drainback systems, with Alphas. The flow meter jumps to 10 gpm as the pump kicks on and steadily drops as the system fills. At 6 gpm, when I hear the water back at the DB tank, (siphon established) the flow jumps back to 10 gpm. Yet the flow rate on the meter never changes.

Perhaps the 2 minute fill cycle is too short for the electronics to respond and correct?

My concern is some, many? installers are putting their trust in these errant readings, maybe trying to balance systems or prove adequate flow through a boiler HX.

I'd vote that they include a sticker like "your mileage may vary" :)

Or maybe change the readout to temperature, rpms, pressure, anything that can be displayed accurately.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • PLUMMER
    Flow meter

How do you like those quick setters. I've only seen one, never installed the calefi myself and messed with it

So on the bee what range are you seeing, display and FMeter.?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    12 gpm

on the digital display, 7 gpm on the flowsetter. It pumping through a HTP tank coil and I can define the pressure drop and calculate what it should be flowing. 7 seems closer to the money.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    Flow readings

The readings on ECM circs are an estimate. The algorithum's used are based upon the RPM of the motor, not the actual flow.
    Dave H
  • PLUMMER
    Ranges

Well for any one wattage reading I have seen several different flow readings. So at 18 watts for example I have seen 7-9.8 GPM displayed. Depends on what zones are calling. At first I figured there was a preprogrammed flow rate displayed for X number of watts. So maybe its a watts x rpm = load flow? Thanks