Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2# gas line for 600, 000 BTU's

Zad
Zad Member Posts: 19
We are in the process of designing an in floor heating system for our house using a retrofit suspended radiant slab. To pull this off I will need to fire 600,000 BTU's. Furnace, on-demand hot water, two gas ranges, gas bbq, three gas fireplaces, hot water tank (need it for a separate unit). We have two pound gas coming in with 1" pipe (ID) and all the appliances are within 12 feet of the regulator supplied by black pipe except one 35,000BTU appliance which is about 40 feet away from the regulator. Our meter is good for 700,000 BTU's. Will this be sufficient?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited February 2014
    Hope this helps

This should give you the basics of how to size it. You should be able to get a 2lb. chart online. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjEllrv0Bs

P.S. Provided the instructor doesn't put you to sleep. Mr. Monotone himself!
  • Zad
    With the longest

run pipe sizing method using 2# gas, do I calculate from the regulator that drops it down to 1/2# in the house or from the meter outside the house at 2#?
  • Zad
    2# gas line sizing

Ok, I found a 2# gas line sizing table from regulator to appliance. Using the longest run method I have a 35 cf/h appliance that is 40 feet from the house regulator with a 3/8" line. By my reading I can service an appliance up to 45 cf/h which works. Using the same distance of 40 feet and 3/4" pipe by my understanding I can use appliances up to 218 000 btu's. The gas company said that my meter will go as high as 700 000 btu's so I should be just fine correct? Am I doing something wrong or does this sound correct to those of you in the know? Thanks.
  • Paul48
    Sounds

like you have 1/2 lb. in the house. For instance, I have 5 lbs up to my meter, and 1/2lb coming into the house. I have to size to 1/2 lb.
  • Zad
    edited February 2014
    I have 2 pounds coming right into

the house to the furnace room and then a regulator right above the furnace dropping it down to .5 pounds with T's leading off to the various appliances.

Here is a link to the document I am using. Page 12 has the table that I believe applies to my application: "Gas Piping Sizing Table 2 psi System (Tubing size from regulator to appliance cut off for gas pressures of .5 psi or less and a pressure drop of 1.0 inch water column).

http://www.gpta.net/classes/gas%20sizing/gaspipe%20sizing.pdf
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Right?

I don't know where you live, and I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do but what you seem to be trying to do sounds a little off. Like maybe you need to really get someone who is licensed to do gas to figure out if what you are doing.

It sounds to me like you will be having multiple gas pressures in the building and there are specific requirements to be followed when done. So that someone doesn't connect a residential 1/2# gas stove to a 2# gas line. Far worse than connecting a Nat Gas stove that wasn't converted to LP. Interesting flames and smoke.
  • Zad
    To clarify,

I have a supply source of 2 pounds at the meter and into the house but no appliances are attached at the two pound pressure. All appliances are downstream of regulators that drop the pressure to .5 pounds. I do have a gas fitter coming in next week but I was hoping to get this figured out sooner as I need to an on demand heater ordered. If need be I can wait. Perhaps this clarification will help.
  • Paul48
    Zad

You have plenty of available gas.Order what you need (within the limitations of the meter), and the gas fitter will sort it out. If you have a regulated manifold, he may have to upsize the regulator, but it's all do-able.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    It should work .....

Fine. Run the 2# line from the meter. the regulator will have a red dot on it for a 2# set up.

Once you get into the boiler room hook it into a Maxitrol 325-7A

http://www.maxitrol.com/Literature/APR_MS_EN_09.2011.pdf

Then pipe out to each appliance as if the meter were right there.
  • Zad
    That is good news,

thank you for the help folks. I will do as you say.