Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast plug removal

Options
Flip
Flip Member Posts: 40
need to remove an old 4" cast cross plug from a mud leg. have heard of people just breaking them with a maul. has anyone here tried this?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Plug removal

I wouldn't try the smashing technique. That works well on pipe fittings, but on plugs, some unwanted force may be transferred into the section of the boiler with disastrous results.

I would drill a small hole in the middle of the plug, followed by a bigger hole, filled etc, until the edge is close to the outside. Then make some saw cuts from the inside of the hole to the outside, without going into the threads of the section of the boiler. When you have several, you can use a chisel to knock the cut segments into the hole, and finally the rest can be unscrewed as the tension has been relieved.--NBC
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Fire And Ice

I would heat the female threads with a big torch head, until the fitting gets red hot, then apply ice to the plug and immediately put a big wrench on the plug and turn. Sometimes you get a little turn, but if you take too long the plug gets hot and the fitting gets cold and you have to start over, if that doesn't work I cut off the raised hex nut and use the saw out method described above, good luck
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Flip
    Flip Member Posts: 40
    Options
    plug

thanks guys,have used the sawzall technique on bad nipples but thought I saw an old timer break one out once. I will do the drill and saw bit