Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Galvanized fitting?

Options
vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
Are any galvanized fittings allowed in the gas lines feeding a power burner on a steam boiler. I didn't find anything prohibiting it, but have also heard otherwise. I live in OHIO. thanks in advance for any info. I tried to search myself first.
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    No galvanized fittings or pipe

Are allowed to be used on any gas piping. It's stated in the international fuel and gas code. The utilitie companies get away with it when they set there gas meters because there the gas companies
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    galvanized pipe

Actually it can be used. The IFGC 403.4.2, UMC, and UPC allow it. I called the gas company to also verify it with them, and they will allow it. I have been using it on all my outside piping as I am in a saltwater environment and black pipe rusts just as fast as I can get it. Since it is wintertime, at least for the East coast,it is too cold to paint.  Galvanized looks good also!

I also do put sediment traps on all appliances even though it is not required on some.

Not taking any chances!

Rick