Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do these valves work?

Options
dbro
dbro Member Posts: 1
I'm trying to adjust the valves on my cast iron baseboards (Weil-Mclain I think) and either their broken or I'm not doing it right. It's a hot water monoflow tee system. The valves are stamped "Welsbach" and they don't seem to open or close, they just keep spinning in either direction. The cap isn't broken, the stem is turning, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything. They have little metal stops on the casting and a metal hook attached to the stem that catches on them. They can be turned past the stops, but you can turn them forever and nothing happens. The first one I assumed was broke, but they all are like this. Am I doing something wrong?

I've attached some pictures. I circled one of the stops on the casting in red. There's another one, but it's behind the valve so it can't be seen. The little metal hook attached to the stem that catches on the stops is circled in green. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Comments

• astoria2013
    astoria2013 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    valves

These valves dont work like other shut off valves.  They are supposed to turn on and off with only about 3/4 to 7/8 of a turn.  Thats why the stops are there.  So turn valve clockwise until the stop (top green on your pic) should touch the bottom stop (bottom red on your pic), valve should be closed.