Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

failling aquastat

Options
bauer
bauer Member Posts: 79
so i wasn't getting heat in a lot of my radiators.... first I thought air... then I thought frozen pipes (its cold... and house is 200 years old and spread out...)... anyway, finally realized it was the circulator not running, as I wasn't getting my domestic hot water either. The radiators directly above the boiler were getting hot by gravity.

So some more investigation shows that my honeywell 8148 isn't supply voltage to the C1 terminal. I check it with a meter... when thermo kicks on, switch turns, voltage goes to B1 and burner fires, but not voltage to circulator terminals (1 or 2).

I pulled the circuit board out and noticed there was a black char mark on the back behind the terminal that goes from the switch down to the circulator terminals... so it seems to me that it is broken. I wanted to check here first as to why this can happen before I go and spend $$ on a brand new aquastat and have the same thing happen.

hooked circulator up to B1 for the time being just to get some hot water so wifey could shower.

thoughts appreciated - thanks and stay warm!

Comments

• Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Get A New

Aqua stat.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • bauer
    bauer Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Helpful thanks

I ended up soldering the burnt connection on the back of the board and it's working. I was mainly wondering if it was common for these things to short out like that or if I had another issue that may have caused it
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    My Electrician

Solders the boards when they fail, but I haven't seen one repaired board fail again, so you are probably all set. I don't think we have seen a burnt char mark though. Most people won't do a solder repair on a board, kudos to you, good job.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.