Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New steam boiler & system cleaner

Hello all,

I am looking for suggestions on a cleaner for a new steam boiler and one-pipe steam system installation.  Having read about many different cleaners from caustic soda to name brand cleaners, I would like to know what the pro's use.

Thank you,

Mike

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    cleaner

You should probably start with whatever the boiler manufacturer recommends. 

Most use caustic soda (lye) and TSP. The ratio is 1 lb. of each for every 50 gallons of water. I skim fro the skim tapping with a hot boiler without running the burner.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Caustic Soda or Washing Soda?

I hope you meant to say washing soda (Na₂CO₃), not caustic soda (NaOH). I wouldn't recommend putting anything as caustic as sodium hydroxide in a boiler, and if you do, be extremely careful adding it to water.

Peerless recommends 1 ounce of washing soda per 50 EDR for skimming. I think the idea is to make the water more polar, which makes contaminants less soluble.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Luv'nsteam
    Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
    Washing soda is

Recommended by Peerless and the manual does specify "Use common washing soda, such as Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda".  I should have looked before posting, thanks for the reminder.

Next question: is Super Washing Soda available at a grocery store or plumbing supply house? 

And, are there any chemicals routinely suggested for daily use such as Squick or are any of these products added only 'as-needed'?

Thank you,

Mike
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    dont forget to

skim, and skim again.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited January 2014
    Grocery store or Walmart.

I buy mine at the grocery store with the laundry detergents. It has many uses. A lot of people here recommend  Rhomar tablets, but I've also read that using these types of things on a regular basis may clan out one's system so well it cases leaks. However, that may only be if a large amount gets in the system. Most here are using just a small amount once their boilers are clean. (Disclaimer: homeowner.) C-
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Pool Supply Stores Too

They call it Soda Ash, and it's used to increase the pH of swimming pools, but it's just another name for sodium carbonate.

Add it slowly to a bucket of cool water, and don't use too much or it will precipitate when you bring it up to heat.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Luv'nsteam
    Good information

Skim, skim and then skim some more (aside from being needed, am I also to presume skimming is preferred to chemical treatment(s)?)

Laundry section of grocery store for washing soda.

Washing soda is also called soda ash.

Excellent!!  Thank you all!!!

Regards,

Mike
  • ALIGA
    what i did - use at your own risk

- flush out boiler cold, and hot, drain completely

- cold skimming

- warm skimming slow

- warm skimming fast with valve fully open- open fill valve fast to get big gunk off the top

- added real TSP, and filled boiler to the very top, let it come to a boil, and drained

- washing out the boiler with a wand thanks to chrisj/gerry gill

i used to have a dissappearing water in the sight glass, water stays still after process above!
  • Luv'nsteam
    ALIGA, TSP

Is a great cleaner, but the boiler is new, all returns are new and one main is new.  I do expect gunk from the radiators and OE main and of course, oil, shavings, etc, but not sure if I'll need the extreme of TSP.  I will, however, keep your directions handy, just in case.  Thanks!

I am curious though, what do you mean you used a wand to clean the boiler?  Do you mean you stuffed it inside the water jacket to clean the inside?  That sounds challenging (to get the brush inside, I mean).

Thanks,

Mike
  • ALIGA
    you can go to youtube

and do a search for gerry gill wand, or search for gerry and wand on here.
  • ALIGA
    do you have pics

of your boiler install?
  • Luv'nsteam
    Pics of new install

I am creating what I think is the last parts list for ordering to complete the install and that includes cleaner among many other items.  When it is complete, I will most definitely post pictures.

Thank you,

Mike