Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Goodman electric furnace

Let me start at the beginning I have a goodman furnance and heat pump over the summer the heatpump went out and the guy replaced it with a goodman cool only unit outside well now that it's -1 degree I realize I have no heat, I kick the thermostat on emergency heat and it ran but wouldn't kick off so I turn the thermostat to the off position and the blower went off and smoke started coming out my vents so I realize with the thermostat in the off position my heating elements are still heating up so I had to kick the breaker I'm hoping someone can tell me how to fix this meds

Comments

• RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    electric heat

First question would be why a cooling only unit    next you need a t-stat that will cycle fan on in heating,  Honeywell makes some T8600 ?  hopefully you have a large KW heater and not just supplemental heat, also electric heat requires a large electrical service and separate disconnect.     Might want to get a heat pump condensing unit reinstalled
    RJ
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Wiring

Sounds like the wiring either on the t-stat or a miss wire from when the system was a heat pump.  You need to post a wiring diagram on existing furnace w/ electric heat.  Generally the HP t-stat will use "B" to enable electric relay through a DPDT relay to switch from heat pump to the supplemental heat (your elct. heat) when using Emergency heat selection on t-stat.  "B" wound energize relay... opening the NC contacts through which "Y"/w1 would call for HP and close NO set of contacts to allow w1 to now be controlling the unit as a straight call for heat. 

As long as w1 calls for heat, the circuit should energize your sequencer which controls blower and elct. heat.  As long as you have a built in sequencer or blower control, the fan is the first thing to come on call for heat and the last thing to shut down.

Equipment wiring diagrams very from Mnfg. to Mnfg.