Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electric and indirect water heater in series

I currently heat my hot water with a oil fired boiled with a separate zone for the indirect tank. I do not use the boiler for heat anymore as I have changed to heating with pellets. I would like to install a electric hot water heater and install it in series with the indirect setup I have. Any advise on if this is a good idea and how to plumb and run thermostats. I do not want to run out of water or will be in hot water with the wife.

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    edited December 2013
    this has a loot of minor technicalities.

one is have you considered the ability of the boiler to make hot water vs an electric water heater ? they are completely different in many respects.

the second thing is if you have a pellet heater or two will you keep your hydronic system circulating water continuously thru the headder when the boiler is out of the picture?

and maybe the third thing is do you want to use the indirect as a pre heat storage for cold or a mixed storage for hot ?

one way you see lower bills and slightly better available tempered water the other way higher electric bills and greater availability of more hot water....
  • Freak
    Freak Member Posts: 2
    saving money while keeping plenty of hot water

I want to mainly use the electric water heater but also have the boiler as back up and booster if the temperature falls lower then desired. The oil is costing me $20 per week and I gotta believe the electric will be about $20 a month.

Do i Need the hydronic system to keep circulating for some reason other wise no.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    you handy with relays?

this will quickly leave from adding a check valve and re routing hot from indirect to cold on water heater to ,

add in

means to control this ,.... when....

suddenly the boiler is turned on ... is that going to be like me go switch type operation or automatically when ......?

so then ,

you need to describe the conditions of when ....

because that might take some more electrical parts and pieces.

This discussion has been closed.