Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spill Switch Not Attached / Dangling

Larry1
Larry1 Member Posts: 6
I was recently poking around my newly installed boiler, and noticed something dangling at the end of two wires. After emailing my plumber and looking around online, I found out that it is a blocked vent switch aka spill switch. Looking at the back of the boiler, I think I can see where it goes. The metal flange is still there and still screwed in. Looks like I could reattach it pretty easily.

My question is, once I attach it, is there any way to test it to see if it's working?

It's a Burnham Independence IN-6 steam boiler.

Thanks,

Larry

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2013
    First

Thing is if this is a new boiler, why is this switch not installed properly, this is extremely life threatening, in the event of high CO and flue spillage. install the switch and have a professional come and check the system for proper draft and perform a combustion analysis with a digital combustion analyzer. worst case scenario, when the boiler was installed and the installer fired up the boiler there was flue spillage, and he disconnected the switch because it kept tripping, if you install that switch and it trips and shuts the boiler off , then you know thats what happened during the install. testing the switch, i guess you can heat it up and see if it trips thanks

Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Paul S

Is 100 percent correct on this... makes us wonder if the near boiler piping done correctly too.. take some pictures and send them here..
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Bi-metal swwitch

If it is just a cheap bi-metal switch, they are known to fall apart sometimes (which sounds like what happened here). Call your installer and have it replaced.

Rob
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    It happens

Agree with last post…Don’t panic just reattach it or have installer reattach it….It opens on heat Unlike a roll out sw. spill sw. is resettable..BUT DONT RESET IT YOURSELF…CALL A PLUMBER OR GAS FITTER…..
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Where are the wires?

Where there any wires connected to the switch? It sounds like they forgot to install it. It is very obvious where it goes but what happen to the wires?