Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

does a Gorton #2 need to be vertical?

i have just barely enough (or maybe not quite enough) head room to put a Gorton #2 on my main. Is there any reason the vent needs to be perfectly vertical when installed? I realize you wouldn't want it to be horizontal or upside down so condensate doesn't pool in it, but what about slightly off of vertical? or even 45 degrees?

my system is short cycling and I'm hoping that increasing the main venting might help, so getting a #2 in there would be a good thing...

Comments

• MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Keep it up

Keep it as vertical as possible. Slightly off is OK, 45 might be too much. the vent closes and won't pass any air at all if it's too far off. I'll try blowing into a spare number 2 I have at about 45 degrees and post back
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited December 2013
    Vents

I don't know for sure but my guess is it can be slightly out of plumb but I wouldn't get too carried away.

Due to limited vertical height I've used multiple Gorton 1s on my long main.  Three #1s is a hair less than a single #2 and four #1s is slightly more than a single #2.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Gorton

We've installed them at 45 degrees before. They work fine. They don't have a float inside so they can be slightly off plumb.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    To float or not to float

Joe I think you're mistaken on this one.

Here is Gerry Gill's video showing the inside of the Gorton #2 and it does have a float in the video.

http://youtu.be/Wl8vQ2MYhMs
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bradslees
    bradslees Member Posts: 34
    i saw the video

and i was thinking that since the float is there in case the entire vent fills with water that it would still work if a little off of vertical. for normal function, the coil should work independently of the orientation.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Gorton

That's right...forgot that it did have a float. The main stopping mechanism is the metal strip.

Either way, it works fine at an angle.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    No rattle--Not good??

I just received 7 Gorton #2's via UPS (a 5 day journey.)  5 of them pass air when held upright and clank shut when turned upside down.   But 2 of them never pass air and never clank in any position...I assume the float is stuck up.  Should one try the rubber mallet or just return these 2??   I just watched the very helpful video above.  Did the float ride up & down on a center shaft?  If so it seems the most vertical position would ensure proper float travel.  (There was a posting sometime ago about some incorrect returns that had been made because there was a rattle inside the vent.)  Thanks for your support!
This discussion has been closed.