Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

6 Heaters - need one programmmable control

I have 6 heaters in our shop. They are ceiling mount / gas / forced air. They used to be controlled by one programmable controller. That unit has since failed. Currently we are running each heater with an individual thermostat. I don't wnat to have to babysit each thermostat on a daily basis.

I want to install a new control that I can program. Any suggestions?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Programmable controller

What was there before?  Were there multiple sensors and just one control, or a series of networked thermostats?  Honeywell, Tekmar, Viconics, and others have options that might work for you.
  • Full_Throttle
    Full_Throttle Member Posts: 6
    6 heaters

The original control was a Microdac programmable controller from the mid 90's. We had quite a few of these controllers in the shop that controlled everything from heat to production equipment. (the guy that installed all of this is no longer with us).

Each of the 6 heaters have a low voltage 2 conductor wire that goes to a dial thermostat located near each heater. They also have another low voltage 2 conductor wire that goes to one central panel for all 6 heaters. At that panel there is one wire ran to one sensor.

I would like to install something at that central panel that overides all 6 of the individual thermostats. I would like to be able to program the temps for given times on given days. I would also like to be able to monitir the system from a local PC.
  • SWEI
    edited December 2013
    Networked thermostats

are available from a number of suppliers (see above.)  Sounds like your existing wiring is in a star configuration from the panel location to each heater.  That limits your options, as most systems will want to link the thermostats to the central location rather than the heaters.  Wireless is becoming more common for this, but in an industrial setting I'd recommend a wired network.

How hard would it be to make wiring changes?  Is the existing wire in conduit?
  • Full_Throttle
    Conduit

Each heater has a condiut drop out of the attic space. I don't know if the conduit continues in the attic or not. I can find out
  • Full_Throttle
    Conduit

There is no conduit once it gets into the attic. It would not be too difficult to re-route the thermostat wire into a loop.
  • SWEI
    Wiring re-use

would probably point me to LON (FT-10) given that configuration.  EIA-485 does not like star configs.  Probably easier to use wireless, but be sure to test in that environment.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Taco I-Worx

Simple out of the box stuff and can do it all from your office computer
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Full_Throttle
    edited December 2013
    Taco I Worx

The Taco technology does look pretty simplified, but it is still over my head. I'm not sure what unit would meet our needs. I will give them a call, but I bet they direct me towards a professional.
  • CMadatMe
    I'm Sure

If you ask them who the local rep is they will give you their number. I'm sure the local rep will give you a qualified contractor in your market.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Full_Throttle
    Rep

I talked to the local Rep. He is putting together some options for us. It sounds like they provide the Parts and the wiring diagram to install it ourselves. It sounds like a pretty good system. He is also going to provide a plan to control our exterior lighting. It sounds positive. He said he needs a few days to come up with the plan. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Thanks guys
  • CMadatMe
    Really

I'm very surprised. Where are you located?
This discussion has been closed.