Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rotation Indicators

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I'm not sure if anyone has offered this information yet but if they haven't , here you go. If you're having trouble snagging one of these from your supply house they're being offered in the States now by DK Specialties, 20307 W. 92nd Street, Lenexa, KS, 913-492-6538, <a href="http://www.dkspecialties.net/">www.dkspecialties.net</a>. I can't go into a mechanical room without one. Regards.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• For the layman

What is the use of this?

Doesn't the rotation always follow the arrow on the case?--NBC
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Got It

I was thinking the same thing. Then it dawned on me......To verify operation....especially in a noisy mechanical room.
  • AH HA!

These would be perfect imprinted with the heating help logo ....Dan??--NBC
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Minimum order of 50...

will allow you to have your business logo on them. I'm thinking about doing it as a give away on new boiler installs? They are an invaluable tool.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    edited December 2013
    just remember

it reads current, the pump can be powered and not spinning but the little indicator will spin. It is not an indicator of rotation, always. See the Grundfos below with the impeller locked in the vice. (don't try this at home).

I don't think it works on Tacos, or any of the ECM circs that I have tried.;

It will spin if you put it on a powered solenoid, also. Without the solenoid spinning :)

It is a very handy, "first check" tool, and conversation starting key chain..
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    True ,

i always like this thing most folks carry some key ring me i have like a pocket full of tools lol

and this giz mo ,

Me likey .

i hate giving them away : )

buh i see folks who need them and think well i would have better luck finding them ,

long time back I think Grundfoss sent them out with the circs .. in like 1975 or 76.

i have one i used two days ago and it has been hitching a ride with me for quite a while now to work ... *~//: )
  • i have two of them from Grunfus

And not giving them away!
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Indicator

It is on my key chain. And it shows actual pump rotation. Of pump is stack, it will not turn. Also works on solenoid valves.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited December 2013
    RJB

If you cannot afford to give a customer a five dollar piece of ADVERTISING on a multi-thousand dollar boiler installation then you need to charge more! I think it would be great as a giveaway, and while explaining the system to the customer you can show them how to use it. People in this day and age love gadgets.

Rob
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    just to be clear

the indicator will indeed spin if the pump is stuck or locked. It reads inductive currents. It spins when you read a solenoids also.

The demo I showed above has the pump locked in my vise and the spin-dicator was spinning.

It is still handier then opening the cover and checking voltage, to see if a circ is powered.

I have some from Grundfos and also Viessmann. Check with your local rep, they usually have a stash.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Rotation

With frozen shaft pump gets overheated and turns off internally. It manifests itself as no rotation on energized pump. It is a good tool for wet rotor pump troubleshooting as well.
This discussion has been closed.