Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEW STEAM BOILER IS BANGING! HELP!

I had my steam boiler replaced less than a month ago. The day after it was replaced, the pipes started banging every time the boiler kicked on. The plumber came back and put a treatment in to skim the oil out of the pipes better. A day later the banging started again. He has been back to skim it 4 or 5 times and each time we can go about 2 days until the banging starts up again. The banging is in the pipes and is LOUD. Once it starts banging, the heat simultaneously stops traveling to one side of the house.

Can anyone give any suggestions to help me figure out this problem???

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2013
    For starters,

You may wish to repost in the steam section with some pics of the near boiler piping. The fact that a 'plumber' skimmed it '4 or 5 times' tells me he doesn't know what he's doing. It's most likely piped wrong, water line was changed, or some other changes were made that the installer didn't think mattered, but obviously do.

What type of boiler?

Could also be something as simple as allowing main pipes to now sag. Or insulation missing, etc.
    steve
  • It Sounds Like

The near boiler piping is wrong, it's a common problem with a new Steam Install.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • New hammering boiler

Post some pictures here of the boiler and it's piping.

What pressure is the boiler running at?

More skimming will be required, and you should be able to do that, (do a search here for details). You will also want to flush out any chemical which he may have put in the boiler, before it becomes welded to the bottom. The only chemical in the boiler should be H2O, unless you have a Chloride problem in your area..--NBC
  • broken_furnace
    broken_furnace Member Posts: 13
    pictures

This is the newly installed boiler and photo of one of my radiators. I am told its a two pipe system. Old boiler only had one pipe coming out of the top and piping was different on side.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited December 2013
    Noisy new boiler

I don't see any errors in the piping, so perhaps skimming will cure it and very low pressure, as this is a trapless system, which may need orifices to restrict the steam to just that amount the radiator can handle. I can't think of the name for it or you could be reading about it in the library here.

Get him to replace the pipe from pressure relief valve to the floor, so as to prevent any accidents.--NBC

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/84821/Mouat-Vapor-Heat-Steam-Traps
  • why that brand??

As far the pixs shown.. no amount of skimming will cure it thru the tiny 3/4 skimming port.. should be full sized nipple for proper skimming. 2nd, with trapless radiators, are the return legs trapped below, pressure must be very low,low ,so low u can't see the needle move on gage... lastly, why is the relief valve pipe disconnected?? Someone added chemical to boiler?
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    edited December 2013
    That looks pretty tidy .

it has nice grade steam looks like it would be clean ,

do you have time for one more pic to the left of the pic we are looking at and one that goes over to the right closer to the pipes where there is some copper ?

Thank you .

Weezbo .
  • it looks like

You should have two tees coming off the steam header to feed both steam mains evenly.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    no swing joints

on the top of the risers. Not that this is your problem but unlikely to be covered by boiler warranty if boiler snaps.
This discussion has been closed.