Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

two questions

Bolt
Bolt Member Posts: 5
I have model C Gi --5 PIN boiler; it's three years old, going on four. It seems awfully loud to me. I can hear it all over the house. It has a separate motor that is an after-burner, I believe. Any solutions?

Question 2. Last year I went to Florida and a regulator valve blew and I had water all over the place. One plumber suggested I turn off the the water shutoff to the boiler, as well as the water supply to the house. Is there a precaution I ought to be taking or was it just bad luck?

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited November 2013
    Induced draft

Not afterburner. Basically the unit has a fan that creates its own draft for venting verses gravity vented via chimney.

Your pressure relief valve must have popped due to maybe a faulty. Pressure reducing valve slowly filling the system, or a faulty expansion tank, unless you mean the pressure reducing valve leaked.

If you are going to NOT have the water on to the boiler it should be equipped with a low water cut off switch. It should have one no matter what anyway. This locks the boiler out in the event the system loses such as you experienced, and will not allow the boiler to fire with out water...... Bad situation! Like explosive situation.
  • Bolt,

What is the pressure in the boiler? You may have to feed some water into the boiler to get the pressure up to about 15 lbs. or so. Sometimes boilers get noisy when the pressure is low.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bolt
    2 questions

Thank you. It was the pressure regulating valve and not the relief valve. I turn off the water main to house when I go to Florida for four months. I hadn't turned off the water intake shutoff to the heating system but was told it would be a good idea. I have someone come once a week to look things over, and I think I will tell him to open up the water intake now and again to be sure the system is not losing water, and than turn it off again. I also have a heat sensor that will phone me if the temp gets below 55 degrees. I was wondering if the regulating valve blew because of some precaution I should have taken, but it sounds like just bad luck. Any more advice? i really appreciate your comments.

Bolt
  • Bolt
    two questions

The temp is at 180 and the pressure is at least 15 lbs. It sounds like vibrating pipes as well. I think I will check all the hangers on the joists in the basement. Thanks for your advice.

Bolt
  • Gordy
    Like Bob said

Check your system pressure, it should be at 15 psi. You should not be losing pressure unless there is a leak in the system, or it has excessive amounts of trapped air.

This is all who ever is checking on things needs to know. As long as the pressure gauge,reads 15 psi you don't need to add water.

Back to Bobs tip if the psi is low it can cause entrained air to come out of solution, and or circulator to cavitate. Causing noise.

Can you narrow it down to the blower motor, or noises piping?
  • Gordy
    Lack of

Proper pipe support, and isolation can cause noise .

Is this problem a recent development?
  • Bolt
    pressure

Pressure is fine. Thanks.

Bolt
  • Bolt
    noise

I've been living with it for quite a while. The vibrating noise is off and on. I am going to get some straps and or hangers this afternoon, because one of the heating pipes coming out of the boiler is pretty loose near the joist. Perhaps the noise if farther along. However, it is very hard to pin down exactly where the vibration is exactly.

Bolt
This discussion has been closed.