Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless Coil Heating

Mannu
Mannu Member Posts: 20
I have a burnham KV84, it has a expansion space. Does it already have the coil, or would i need to purchase that? I'm trying to run a hot water loop off of that so i dont have to take hot water from the boiler as it will be dirty and the pumps will go bad too fast?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Space

If its what I'm thinking of its a rectangular area on the rear block on the side.  If the coil is there it would have two connections on it.

If you click on the link in my signature you will see the V83 I ripped out that had this coil.  I think there is even a picture of the coil it self, although it was clogged with rust and mud.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    Picture

I found a good picture showing what my coil looked like mounted in the boiler.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Mannu
    Tankless Coil Heating

Chris,

That is exactly it. Couple of questions i have about this

1) the boiler doesnt come with the coil right?

2) Where can i find the schematic to how to set this up?

3) the aquastat is connected to the coil, which is then connected to the burner?

Do you know where i can find more info about this?
  • ChrisJ
    Tankless coil

I believe the correct model for the V8 series steam boiler is V1-2.

If you Google "Burnham V1-2 tankless coil" you should get a lot of hits.

http://oswaldsupply.com/burnham-boiler-tankless-coil-v8s-x.html

Here is a URL to the installation instructions for the V8 series. It shows how to setup the coil around page 83.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/posts/4266/Burnham%20V8%20Series%20Instructions.pdf
  • Mannu
    Tankless Coil

Chris,

Your setup is done like the setup on page 1? Where the water coming out of the mixing valve goes through the circulator to the baseboards?

Or is your setup like page 2? Page two shows the circulator but it says its for a hot water tank.

I just wanted to make sure.

Also my boiler has a plate of the slow with 8 bolts, that means i dont have the coil right?
  • ChrisJ
    Nope

My setup, which wasn't really my setup is long gone as I had to tear that boiler out in 2011 due to it being rotted.

The tankless coil was used for our domestic water rather than heating.

I know a lot of guys don't even use the tankless coil for hot water heat. They simply pull water direct from the boiler.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Condensate hot water heating

Mannu go to the top of this page choose Systems, then Hot Water, then Condensate Hot Water Heating. Give the article a read. It explains how it works.
  • Mannu
    tankless coil

Mark,

that was the initial plan to do it that way, but a person told me about the tankless coil system for my burner. He said the condensate system, i would have to change the pump every year due to the crud that comes with the water regardless of what type of circulator i use. Thoughts?
  • Mannu
    condensate system

Chris,

since you had the same system, i cant seem to figure out where to tap the boiler for a hot water loop in the basement? Any help? for supply and return? Attached are some pictures, should the supply come from the plug in the front? Not 100% as the manual says that is where the electronic low water cutoff goes.
This discussion has been closed.