Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting old cast iron boiler maintaining existing radiation

Options
Have an old boiler with cast iron radiators. Would like to use a low mass boiler, however I fear clogging the heat exchanger. Understand Dan's apprecation of this combination. Are their in-line filters that can be addeded? Any thoughts?

Thanks 2

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited November 2013
    Options
  • Steamfitter66
    Steamfitter66 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    what I do is

flush with diluted muriatic acid prior to demo if possible. Then add a strainer on the return side pipping.

Most larger systems have side stream filters which filter a percentage of the water down around 50 microns or so. I have installed these on Mod con retrofits but that is site evaluated.

I would highly recommend a Triangle Tube Prestige boiler as it is almost impossible to plug and is as good as anything on the market.

Make sure you use a company that knows boilers and is not a forced air or plumbing contractor that once in a while puts in a boiler. I've fixed a lot of those.

A heat loss calculation should be done prior to any contract being signed. If a contractor goes by rule of thumb or seat of pants stay away.

Ive been doing this for over 25 years and can guess pretty close to what a house will be but I still do a complete load calc every time.

Eric
This discussion has been closed.