Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cleaning a plate and frame heat exchanger

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
does anyone know the best mild detergent to use when scrubbing down the plates of plate and frame heat exchanger? the manufacture recommends using nitric acid, and water. I do not want to use any acids if necessary, because we would be scrubbing them down on the roof of the building (rubber roof) thanks to all

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What's on the plates?

Nitric acid and mild detergent have somewhat different properties.  What is the residue you are trying to remove?
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    just dirt

Mostly dirt and other stuff found in an open cooling tower system
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Try it

can't hurt to try a couple of plates and see how they fare.  Sounds like you don't have very hard water there (or have been treating your water diligently.)  If you do have lime stains, a lower pH will help -- though Sulfamic, citric, and acetic acids are more commonly used.  Nu-Calgon has been recommended here a few times, though I have no personal experience with it.
  • PZdescaling
    PZdescaling Member Posts: 3
    Acid Free, All-in-One Descaler

Since your heat exchanger made of multi material, in order to not hurt your equipment, I would recommend you to use 1st TECH Biodegradable Descaler. It is acid free descaler, and works for cleaning the rubber material parts.
    Equipment Maintenance Consultant

Industrial Equipment and Facilities Management Solutions