Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ceramic end cone

Options
jim_160
jim_160 Member Posts: 24
whats the reason for ceramic end cones on oil burner air tube? i replaced one with a standard metal one. this is on a hot air furnace (olsen) .75 80 A nozzle.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Cermic End Cones"

If it is what I think it is, its to help protect the end of the burner tube from overheating and melting down because of high temperatures in the chamber.
  • jim_160
    jim_160 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    ceramic end cone

so does this mean the steel one i put on will melt? i would think as long as i keep end cone back 1/4" and have over fire draft it should be alright
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Ceramic End Cones:

If it came with a ceramic end cone from the factory, and it needs to be replaced, it needs an end cone to maintain its UL listing.

It may be fine without it and you might luck out.

If "I"id it, the end would burn off, the appliance would overheat, and cause serious damage that I would be responsible for and my liability insurance policy might take a hit.

I don't exactly know what your end cone is like. The ones I am familiar with just slip over the steel end cone. The ceramic one is to protect the steel from excessive reflected heat. Look on the manufacturers installation says. Or contact them. There's a reason its there. Maybe it doesn't need to be there and someone put it on for a reason. Like positive over fire pressure.

Find out why it was there in the first place.
  • Mike M
    Mike M Member Posts: 34
    Options
    nozzle protection

I remember hearing years ago nozzles can become carbonized from excessive heat too!  If you alter the burner, you are the new manufacturer to get sued when they go after someone and the insurance company is off the hook for the customer because it was ALTERED. 

If you decide to get the ceremaic end cone, some are a hard ceramic and some just have a semi hardened highly compressed cardboard like substance and you have to hand carve the thing, at least I did, on its inside surface or it cracks and splits.  Make it just lightly snug, don't force it...Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.