Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

firematic valve

Kglaser777
Kglaser777 Member Posts: 3
I mistakenly overtightened the firematic valve by turning it a bit too far. I heard a snap when doing this. I closed the valve, took the handle off, and noticed that some of the threads on the valve handle had been stripped. However, I was able to get the handle back on and re-open the valve. How do I know if the valve is still fully operational? It opens and closes but is it possible that the spring is broken (or something else)?

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    did

the center stem retract when you removed the wheel? Usually the solder that creates the fusible connection is what gives first. If the stem does not pull down into the valve automatically when the wheel is removed, replace the valve complete
  • Kglaser777
    firematic

When I took the handle off the valve seemed to be closed. I had the heat on (to test it) and it shut off a few moments after I did this. I am not sure what you mean by the "stem retracting". The threaded stem does move up and down as I adjust the handle.

I'm also not sure what you mean about the fusible link. I was trying to find an explanation online of how this thing works, but the best I got was that the handle will melt under low heat thus allowing the spring to decompress and closing the valve.

Thanks.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    A pic would help

If this is the Fireomatic oil valve, Omco, etc, the threaded stem is spring loaded. Turning the wheel counter clockwise opens the valve, clockwise closes it. You should see the threads disappear and feel the resistance of it pulling closed
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Heated?

Wait a minute. You heated it up to test it? It is a one time fuse. If you heated it up emough to melt the solder and the wheel and valve doesn't work, time for a new wheel. Maybe a whole new valve too. But you don't heat it to test it.
  • Kglaser777
    re

No. I just ran the boiler to see if the valve was actually closing. Since the boiler stopped, and started again after I opened the valve, I assume the valve is working. I was just worried the safety "feature" of the valve was not going to work. Either way, I don't plan on starting a boiler fire anytime soon to test it.
This discussion has been closed.