Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting a two line system to a single line

bmong
bmong Member Posts: 2
I got an oil furnace that was only used for a few months. It was a two line system for the oil lines. With an inlet and return line. My oil tank was an single line system. I capped the return line on the oil pump and hooked up my single line into the oil pump. When I started the furnace,it blew out the seal around the shaft of the oil pump.is there something I need to do to convert from a two line to a single line? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• hotpipe
    hotpipe Member Posts: 24
    you need to buy a new pump

It will come set up for a single line system.
    Don't blame me, I voted for the old war hero and the business expert!!!!
  • hotpipe
    hotpipe Member Posts: 24
    you should have a pro install

and set up the pump, and test the combustion set up.
    Don't blame me, I voted for the old war hero and the business expert!!!!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    oops.......

You forgot to remove the bypass plug.  Another unfortunate case of a DIY'er trying to save some money.  :)

Follow hotpipe's recommendation.  Your burner may be set to run at a different pressure then what the pump is factory set to.  Then of course, properly connected, bled, pump pressure/vacuum test, and a complete combustion test all need to be done.  And while he's there, have him clean the unit, new filter, nozzle, etc.
    steve
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    why

was it set up for 2 pipe? Like others said, pump is no good now.  Another thought, if you decide to do it yourself, what is the pump pressure set for on your unit? They come set at 100 PSI I would hire a pro
  • Mike M
    Mike M Member Posts: 34
    shaft seal kaput @ 10 PSI

you had over 100 PSI...too many specialty tools are  involved, don't even attempt to try it unless you are prepared to learn a lot and spend a lot, and I don't mean just a thousand either, that might get you an efficiency tester and a pump pressure gauge only, still have a long, long way to go... and many hours of learning. If your willing to spend two years at a technical college, its do-able...
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    This really is

A case of false economy. Trying to "hit & hope" that an oil burner will be properly balanced is close to assuming you have the magic formula to win powerball. You can make it run, maybe but Oil is costly. Get the most out of it and your equipment by having the unit set up properly by a pro. You will save money by doing so.
This discussion has been closed.