Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

head loss for mono-flo

cyrus_pinkney
cyrus_pinkney Member Posts: 24
I am attempting to calculate my feet of head to decide whether or not I need to use a P/S system for my new boiler setup. I have never calculated it for a mono-flo type of piping layout. I am hoping some of you fine people could assist me in this.

I have a single loop (for now) serving my entire home (see plan attached and <a href="http://imageshack.us/f/594/cibl.jpg/">here</a>). Do I calculate the entire system as a single number or should I only calculate the longest half of the loop?

I am contemplating installing radiant heat in the basement and am wondering if that will impact whether I'll need P/S also.

As always, thank you.

Comments

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Use

speed # 1 on the 15-58, it should work fine as long as the monoflo loop hasn't been "hacked up" into more than one zone.
  • cyrus_pinkney
    should've just asked you directly

@R Maninno strikes again!

I should've just asked you directly, but thanks for the answer. The original loop is still in tact, but it appears that they tee off for 2 baseboards in the basement, but the entire house is on one zone.

Should I be using the Grundfos UPS15-58 for both pumps in my setup?
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    edited October 2013
    The 3 speeds

give you some adjust ability to tweak the system. A true monoflo system has a very low head loss. I learn from the guys here too ya know. I have seen a hacked up monoflo system or two that needed a higher head circ to over come the issues.
  • cyrus_pinkney
    gotcha

alright, I'll use those pumps for both, then.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    For reference

The hydraulic resistance of a 3/4" B & G Monoflo tee is equivalent to 70 Ft of pipe , a 1" is 23.5ft and an 1 1/4 is 25 ft. .  Stay outta trouble .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • cyrus_pinkney
    how is the tee measured?

@Rich

thanks for the input. This might be a ridiculous question, but the tees I have on my system all come off a 1" loop and feed up to the radiators with 1/2". Does the fact that the tee feeds into 1/2" matter?
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited October 2013
    Be most

concerned with the Big loop , water has no choice but to flow through the emitters . Are there 2 MF tees per emitter (cringe) ? If so you are gonna need a hell of a pump .  The tee is measured through the run of the fitting .  They are not low loss systems as previously mentioned .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • cyrus_pinkney
    edited October 2013
    single mono-flo tee

I guess we can both breath easy Rich, there is a single mono-flo tee for each radiator. The funny thing is, I believe the system was installed backwards, or at least the tees are. I have only owned the home through a half a winter, so I don't know how well it's performed. After dismantling the boiler I realized that the pump (which I have been under the impression is almost always on the return) is a Dayton 5GD80. If the pump is indeed on the return, then the tees are with the pump, meaning the arrows on the mono-flo tees point AWAY from the pump. Is it possible that all of these tees could be installed incorrectly? Or is it possible that the pump is on the feed? It's a big ol' oil-fired American Standard, if that makes any difference.

My question now, going forward, should I pipe it correctly and have my feed going in the direction of flow with the tees towards the return on the boiler? I fear that after 50+ years of the water running in one direction, if I reverse it, I may screw something else up.
This discussion has been closed.