Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old wood boiler questions

Hey guys,

New guy, non HVAC contractor. I have a wood boiler (oil boiler is primary) that I've never used and would like to. It's probably from the 50's, house was built in 55. Anyone know where I can likely find answers to some questions I have about this duel (oil/wood) system? I had a long time boiler guy come out last year to clean/inspect the oil boiler and he didn't know much about (old) wood boilers. And there's not much online apparently. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Pics/ Make Model

Can you take some pictures of the unit as well as give any info you can find on a nameplate if it has one?

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • GCcarpenter
    GCcarpenter Member Posts: 3
    Pics

Hey, thanks for the reply. Here are some pics. I have no paperwork on the wood boiler. I bought the house just over a year ago. I believe it was used fairly recently. It was full of ashes with nails and a few sawzall blades. The basement had work done just before I bought it and apparently the guys (prior owners son) burned the scraps. The oil tank was empty, more evidence they used the wood boiler to heat the house during the work. It needs a good cleaning and a new door seal but I have no reason to believe it's not operational.

Thanks for any help!
  • GCcarpenter
    GCcarpenter Member Posts: 3
    Nothing?

I don't know why the pics were inverted, but no one is at all familiar with this type of system?
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    wood boiler

I would guess it is from the 1980's or newer. The pumps and control do not look old enough to be '50's. Wood boilers were quite popular in the early 1980's.

I would make sure it holds water (no leaks) and try to check to see if the circulator and controls operate properly. I would probably suggest you replace the pressure relief valve or at least flush it or check that it functions.

Then, build a "small" fire and see how things go. Search the internet for operating instructions, other brands should be similar in operation. At least 80% of the wood boilers that I see are not used because the owner felt they were too much trouble. Example, overheating , too much heat, too much trouble to manage wood. etc., too much creosote, smoke.

The ones I see with most success are in older bigger houses (farm house) and in colder weather.
This discussion has been closed.