Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Good air vent brand?

Hey guys,

This might be a bit of a gray area since advertising is not

allowed here, but I’m looking for a recommendation on a good brand of air vents

for home use (the stuff at Home Depot is not cutting it) and the name of a good

on line vendor as well.

I’m looking for reliability, low noise, and a good range of

sizes.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    vents

The Gorton vents are well thought of on this site as are the Ventrites (not easy to find); the Hoffmans have seen some troubles just recently and then you have the Mai-O-Mist which looks much like the Gortons. The Durst you find at the big box stores are best left on their shelves.

A good online source for vents is -

http://www.pexsupply.com/Air-Valves-300000

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Hoffman Fan

I have to admit that I'm a fan of Hoffman #40. They're nice and slow and very reliable. The Hoffman 1A has a lot of fans because it's adjustable. But, I find the adjusting mechanisms is so sloppy that adjusting by the dial on top is futile. Slow venting radiators helps greatly in getting even steam distribution. You can usually find #40 vents on ebay for reduced prices.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Maid-o-Mist

You can buy Maid-o-Mist at Home Cheapo, but caveat emptor. If the label that seals the box is cut, open the box and check the vent. First, make sure it isn't used. I don't know if they just put customer returns back on the shelf or if customers are exchanging their old ones for new ones, but I see used ones on the shelf all the time. Second, make sure the orifice is screwed into the outlet and that the number or letter stamped in the orifice is the same as that marked on the label.

Amazon is also a good place to buy M-o-M vents. Amazon and Home Cheapo both have smartphone apps, which makes it easy to compare prices. You can even scan the barcodes if you find them in a store and want to check their prices online.

One thing I like about these vents is that they come in the same size as the Gortons, but you can remove the orifices, so when you're balancing your radiators, you can just swap orifices around instead of having to unscrew the vents. Once you've got all the right size installed, you can replace any vents that go bad with the extra ones you bought while you were balancing, swapping the orifice, if necessary, and when they run out you just replace it with the same size Gorton. Think of the M-o-Ms as "training" vents.

Last year BobC found a Maid-o-Mist that came with a complete set of orifices. I followed his lead and found the same model at Amazon. I got a good deal, but I don't know if they still have them at the same price.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Maid- O - Mist Vent Kit

Hi- The part number for the Maid-O-Mist vent kit is: Maid-O- Mist 0220-5L
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,587
    Gorton

I'm definitely a Gorton man.  I used to have Hoffman 1As on all of my radiators and I gave up on them.  Switched to Gorton and have had zero problems.

I also believe Gorton's are about as quiet as they come.  No clicking.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Vent-Rite

I just purchased a whole bunch of Vent-Rite #1s (adjustable) from Combustion Depot

https://www.combustiondepot.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=20019
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    VentRite #1 Radiator Vent

Thanks for the link on where to get VentRite #1 vents. Price wise it looks like a good source. 
  • Just as important-the pressure

Make sure your pressure is low and that you have enough main venting to enable 2 ounces of pressure to push air out of the mains as the boiler is starting to steam. Verify that low resistance to venting with a good low-pressure gauge.

Most radiator venting problems are the result of inadequate main venting, or excess pressure. If you can hear your vents all the time, something is wrong.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.