Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High Efficency Comparisons

StefK
StefK Member Posts: 8
Hi ..

I posted a general question about choosing between a Buderus 142 30 and a Lochinvar 105 yesterday and got some good feedback. One of my friends thinks the best choice is to go "Old School" and get a good quality boiler without any of the electronics. I am not convinced of that but I am bit skeptical of some of the new technology and still wondering if the aluminum heat exchanger in the Buderus is a deal breaker. Any advice is surely appreciated.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    A "boiler without any of the electronics"

Became almost impossible to manufacture once the 2012 DOE regs took effect.

I would pick a quality mod/con (properly installed) over a conventional boiler for the majority of today's applications.  The increase in comfort and efficiency is significant -- far greater than the 10-15% difference you see on that AFUE tag.

We only install condensing boilers which we believe (based on experience) will last and on which we are factory trained.  The Lochinvar WH series is one of those.  The KB series uses a Giannoni heat exchanger which we prefer to avoid.
  • StefK
    StefK Member Posts: 8
    Thanks

Any opinion about the Buderus? The other boiler that I have heard pretty good things about are the Triangle Tube.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Heat exchangers

Triangle Tube pioneered the stainless firetube HX which is in the Lochinvar WH series.   Both are great boilers, and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

The GB142 uses an aluminum HX.

Be sure your contractor performs a proper room-by-room heat loss calculation before sizing the boiler.
This discussion has been closed.