Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changing flooring in existing radiant setup.

sgtmikey
sgtmikey Member Posts: 14
We are considering replacing the wood flooring in one area of our home with tile. The room is an extension on the back of a cape: a kitchen, dining, living room. It is a single zone, 3 loop, sandwich install with aluminum plates. 3/4" qs oak covers it now. We were thinking of going with tile laid on 1/2" backer board.

The attached image shows the floor specs. It is room 1.

How will this change effect heat loss, or any other aspect of heating? I am in the early stages of a gas conversion. Thanks.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Sgt Mikey

as long as these rooms are presently on the same zone and you are satisfied with the comfort and all are to be changed keeping similar characteristics you will be fine . Your system for these rooms will be a bit more responsive .  You are not changing the Finish floor R value negatively so all should be good . 
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • mariae
    mariae Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Suggest Me

Hi Rich,

How do you decide, that it is good? I am planning to change wooden floor of 10x10 kitchen with tile. Other rooms surface has complete wooden floor. What will be my heat loss graph. Sorry, I am completely new with this topic.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    It Doesn't Change The Heat Loss

It changes the required water temp needed to overcome the heat loss based on the R-value of the finished floor. Tile has an R-Value of .5, 3/4" oak .68, There will be no effect or such minimal effect that you would then balance off at the manifold.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Chris's

statement is correct . However when dealing with any heating occupant comfort is key . If the floor surface temp should be uncomfortable (doubt it though) the loop/loops for the kitchen area can be separated at the manifold by adding actuators and a thermostat in kitchen .  Not a terrible remedy , but not worth doing before determining if in fact there is a comfort issue . 
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
This discussion has been closed.