Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Joist Trak or Radiators?

Swampgas
Swampgas Member Posts: 11
I am exploring the options for replacing the forced air heating system in a clients home. I am specifying the 86k btu TT Prestige Excellence with indirect DHW for a house with a design heat loss of about 54k.

The quandary is do we tear down the finished basement ceiling and install Joist Trak under the squeaky 1927 vintage subfloor and 3/4" hardwood flooring / carpet / tile or put in Runtal or Buderus wall mounted radiators?

My concerns are:

1. Does underfloor radiant work well enough with 1 1/2" of wood on top?

2. What will it do to the flooring in terms of expansion and contraction?

3. Will wall mount radiators with thermostatic valves be any more or less efficient at emittance?

4. Will the Joist Trak system make noise as it expands and contracts?

Thanks

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Panel rads

with TRVs would be my choice if faced with your concerns . Quality system , plenty zones , great comfort . No downside unless your homeowner really wants radiant floor
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Design heat loss of about 54k

Would lead me rather directly to the PTS 60 with its DOE output of 54k.  Indirect sizing would be based on calculated DHW demand.

Agree that TRVs on panel rads are an elegantly simple answer.  Size them for 140F if possible.
  • Swampgas
    PTS 60

Would that be the Prestige Solo 60 w/ Trimax? Isn't that rated at 47k output and 54k input?

I've used the TRV's before but never the underfloor radiant, is it inferior to a TRV system or just more expense and work?

Thanks
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited July 2013
    PTS60

Is indeed a Prestige TriMax Solo, with a 60k firing rate.  DOE output is 54k.  I=B=R output is 47k, but nobody I know of uses those numbers any more.

A TRV is a control valve that attaches to a radiator and provides proportional regulation of the room temp using no electricity.  No relation to underfloor radiant, though they can be paired with it.  I'd say that 99% of them are probably installed on radiators.
  • Swampgas
    TRV's

I know the TRV's are for radiators, I was just pondering the efficiency of a system with panel radiators and TRV's vs a zoned underfloor radiant system like Joist Trak.

Thanks
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Thinking of

Pushing radiant through 1 1/2" of flooring . Decreased output, and increased water temps.

So the big question is there enough floor area to meet the load at the potential output of the proposed radiant floors with that much resistance.
This discussion has been closed.