Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Warm water circulating in heating circuit when indirect firing

I just did the initial firing of of a little  MS 26 Mega-Stor tied to a Triangle Tube Solo 60. Interestingly hot water began to immediately convect strongly in the heating circuit and do so in opposite the normal direction of flow. This surprised me greatly as there is a swing check in the heating circuit that should I would think prevent this direction of flow.

Obviously we don't want heat when it's not called for and on top of that certainly don't want the high temperature water used for DHW production coming in contact with concrete floor of the radiant heating system.

For now I've stopped the convective flow by closing one of he valves in the heating circuit but would like to get the problem sorted sooner rather than later.

Might the swing check be stuck open? Is there a better alternative to the swing check such as the Taco 241 flow check?

We're seeing very effective hot water production by the MS-26 with the CH circuit isolated from the DHW circuit.

Thanks for any informed replies,

Hugh

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    can I see a picture of the install

Where did you pull the indirect from? I would say a "real"check valve would be a better solution than a swing check.

I ran into a similar problem with an indirect and GB, {before the gb came with the LLH}, the pump on the indirect was pumping too much and forcing water where ever it would go, so I installed a 007, and they called back that night with no hot water....

Everything was hot when I left, so I figured it was fine, but did wonder why someone would install such a large pump on an indirect...

I returned in the morning, and sure enough, NHW!! The 007 would not pump through this indirect??? So I drained it down and blew through the purge valve with my mouth, it was hard to do, like it was blocked....

After removing the indirect, I put the flex cam in the unit, I got about 9 inches in and seen something red, the installer pushed the red plastic cover into the indirect!!! I spent 15 minutes fishing it out, re-installed everything and all was well....

This obviously is probably not your problem, but shows anything is possible...
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    swing checks are not flow checks

you need the right part for the job. Remove the swing check and install a flow check or a spring check. I prefer the former for long life.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Hugh Mason
    Hugh Mason Member Posts: 24
    Headed in the right direction

Charles,

Would a Taco 241 flow check be an appropriate item for this task? The Mrs. would like this sorted sooner rather than later as the cool season always seems to sneak up faster every year.

Thanks for the advice.

Hugh
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    If you have 1" copper

then that is your item.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Hugh Mason
    Hugh Mason Member Posts: 24
    sounds like a plan

Charles,

Yup, 1" copper it is.

Much thanks,

Hugh
This discussion has been closed.