Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEED User/Owners Manual for Old American Standard Boiler

Mike_A
Mike_A Member Posts: 2
Hey folks,

Does anyone know where I could find or acquire a user/owners manual for an old American standard boiler? Model G-105 Series 1BJ1. I think it was manufactured sometime between 1959 and 1972. Any and all information will be helpful as I am completely in the dark on this one. Thanks!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Any specific questions?

Is this a hot water boiler, or steam? If steam, then repost in the steam section.

General knowledge could be had from the books in the shop here.

Post some pictures here to further identify the model.--NBC
  • Mike_A
    Mike_A Member Posts: 2
    Any specific questions?

Its a hot water boiler. I just want to know general safety information about it. How often the user or owners manual says I should have parts replaced, what temps it should be operated at, what the manual recommends I do to maintain the boiler and keep it running smoothly, does the manual say I need to get it inspected and if so how often, etc. I don't know if any of the parts have been replaced, what year it was installed or even manufactured. It seems to run find but doesn't look to be in the best shape. I just want to make sure its safe to operate
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Hot water boiler maintenance

It looks like our previous steam boiler minus a couple of sections. When the thermostat opened the gas valve, the air intakes of the burner tubes would whistle.

A yearly maintenance should include:

1.removing the burner tubes, and brushing, or blowing out any dust/cob webs from the burner flame grids. When reassembling the burner, the air mixture can be adjusted by screwing in or out the air shutters at the front ends of each burner tube. If they were not so crude,in their adjustment, I would suggest getting someone with proper equipment to do it for you.

2. Using a mirror and light to inspect the sections for any obvious leaks.

3.checking the standing pilot flames for correct color, and impingement on the thermocouples. (the pilots will use about $30.00 of gas a month).

4.check the chimney flue metal for rust holes, and the bottom of the chimney for obstruction.

5.keep the automatic fill valve closed except when actually refilling the boiler. The tridicator gauge should show about 12 psi for a 2story building.

6.keep the water temperature set above 140 degrees at a minimum, and 180 degrees max. In the shoulder seasons, you can play with the settings, as warmer weather suit lower water temperatures for lower fuel consumption.

7. Check the thermostat for proper anticipation settings. Probably a Honeywell visionpro with a remote indoor sensor would enable the control unit to be in a locked storeroom away from prying fingers, if this is an apartment house.

8. Make sure there are no chemicals stored near the boiler-especially water softener salt, or detergents.

Is this boiler making any domestic hot water?

Anyone else see anything I missed?--NBC

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited June 2013
    What exactly is this boiler heating?

800,000 BTU/hr lies well outside the range of any (non-mansion) residential system.

Nice window detail with inset louvers on glass block.  Looks 1960-something to me.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Old boat mud moorings:

That boat mooring block is rated at 800,000 gross gas input. The IBR rating is in the low 500,000's. Not so far out for the (usually) vastly oversized heating boilers of the day. Unless it is a steamer, in which case, it may have been properly sized for the radiation. Unlikely.

Someone needs to do some calculations on that potential  marine object. A modern sealed combustion unit could probably fit between the smallest available unit and the IBR net rating.  
  • That looks like a Dornbos tag....

so you're in Chicago.  I don't do much Hot water anymore ( almost all steam), but if it is Dornbos, then you're probably nearby and I do some hot water work locally. If you want it inspected, just give me a call.  American Standard was probably about the best cast iron boiler built.  I just looked at a steam twin to that boiler, and its still sound.  I suspect its efficiency is right up there with comparable new atmospheric models, but there are more efficient options these days.  I've combustion tested smaller American Standards of that era and most test out right near 80%,...the same as recent current models of that design.
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
This discussion has been closed.